Challenging CA finish on ends?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So I've turned about half a dozen pens. The last three I've done with see a finish after watching several videos from PSI and a few others on YouTube I've gotten most of the kit to do the work. The one thing I don't have are silicon bushings are usually apply the CA with the metal lathe bushings and then just take the bushings off. I've not had too many problems with them but one of the things I've noticed is when I apply more coats the 5 to 6 coat range I start seeing more and more problems with the ends, cracking and chipping. It also appears they're starting to lift up on those ends because the CA will have a slightly lighter finish at the end, where it looks like the wood has separated from some of the CA, my assumption is due to the metal bushings.
Just out of curiosity does anybody else have this problem and will the silicone bushings completely fix this or do you find yourselves having a finesse the ends with touchup?
0099A900-AB12-430F-9FD2-3BBAD54817B4.jpeg
7ABCE582-6DF0-4335-929F-6289A5CD852E.jpeg
F41AF158-82DA-4728-80AB-783A8A20BB53.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wimkluck

I don't think the bushings are silicone. Nylon or delrin POM, PE
I used the metalbushing for a long time. Just separate it with an old skew. It worked.
Now I use the nylon bushings

jttheclockman

A couple things here. If using metal bushings it can have a tendency to stick to them and when you take blank off it can crack the end of the CA. Also if using those metal bushings it may prevent you from getting enough CA on the ends of the blank because the bushings are in the way. You can apply CA with out using bushings and just use a live and dead center and hold blank between them. Being tapered you now avoid bushings on the ends. Some people make their own.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1188

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1189

Ray-CA

I dap each end of the blank on a few drops of CA applied to a paper towel. That seals the ends and keeps moisture from wicking up between the blank and the CA. (A little trick I learned here.)

Ray

leehljp

Member Liaison
CA will lift up off the ends of oily woods easily. Oils and waxes will cause the same to any wood if the blank comes in contact with them before the CA is applied.

PreacherJon

I always run a small Exacto blade between the blank and bushing.... making sure I don't get what you got.

Mike

I use Don Ward's method (documented somewhere on this site) with medium CA and BLO. I have never had the blank stick to the bushing enough to be a problem. Just a slight twist and they come right off. I got CA on my mandrel and had to clean with a little acetone before the bushings came off. Had to be very careful not to get acetone on finished blanks.

Mike

TonyL

it just happened to me. i use delrin bushings. the wood was not oily. i may have over-pressed the hardware or inserted the hardware too quickly . i always add ca to the vertical ends using the paper towel described above. i dissembled the pen, repaired it and it worked out fine. i don't have a definitive answer.

egnald

I bought a 4-foot piece of 3/4-inch HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) rod from Grainger for about $8. I sliced and diced it to make my own non-stick bushings for CA finishing. They are very similar to the Hold Fast Non-Stick Bushings owned by TMI Products which are precision molded HDPE.

I always cringe whenever I see pen turning videos that use these with a big buildup of CA stuck to the bushings. Yes, some CA does kind of stick to them. There is information out there that talks about turning off any CA that has built up over time, and that is how I started out; however, HDPE is for the most part impervious to Acetone and Acetone is an outstanding solvent for CA, so I now simply drop my dirty bushings into a small jar of Acetone for a few minutes, the CA dissolves, and they come out as pristine as can be.

Regards,
Dave

PS If you don't want to make your own, the original Hold-Fast Non-Stick Bushings from TMI Products can be bought for $6 to $10 online. And if you use Acetone to clean them up, they should last for years and years.

Top Bottom