Certified Irish bog oak Pen blanks. 6500 years old

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Twvaman

I have for sale Irish bog oak pen blanks.
Bog oak comes from the midlands of Ireland.
Size: 3/4 x 3/4 x 5.5 inch.
Blanks are kiln dry and have no cracks.
Price for 5 blanks - $20.00 plus $5.50 for postage.
Payment through PayPal.
Delivery from Ireland to USA takes 5-7 working days.

I have this bogoak carbon dated from queens university Belfast. A copy of the results will be giving with each purchase. (4464bc +/- 9 years or later).

Here is my last tread from last year.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f15...s-6500-years-old-158990/f158...rs-old-157209/

i can send blanks that are black or a mixture of black and brown blanks. Pm me for preference.

Attachments

• 1907AD87-D059-4946-A039-316DCB080306.jpeg
    1907AD87-D059-4946-A039-316DCB080306.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 381
  • 1EFA8C8E-AF90-4107-A13B-F709D4D600B3.jpeg
    1EFA8C8E-AF90-4107-A13B-F709D4D600B3.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 412
  • FE62F834-28A6-4754-A993-FB68CA7FC914.jpeg
    FE62F834-28A6-4754-A993-FB68CA7FC914.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 387
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

YOYOMAN

I would be pleased to receive 5 black blanks for a total of $25.50. Payment to be made via Paypal upon receipt of your confirmation.

hokie

Do you have 6" blanks available, by chance? Also, is the shipping a flat $5.50 for every five blanks or does it change as the number purchased increases?
Thanks!

NT_2112

I bought some and it made a great looking kit pen, the pen body looks amazing.

Just curious, do you know if anyone has used these to make a bespoke pen?

JUICEDSS

I received mine the other day. I have used a ton of this and all sold well. I always leave the wood natural so they can actually feel it. No sense having something that old if you can't touch it.

He ships fast too! A++++++

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 280

henry1164

I received mine the other day. I have used a ton of this and all sold well. I always leave the wood natural so they can actually feel it. No sense having something that old if you can't touch it.

Natural sounds like a great way to call a pen "complete". When leaving it without a finish, what level of sanding/MM do you use? Anything special done after sanding, i.e. wax, etc? Thanks.

JUICEDSS

Natural sounds like a great way to call a pen "complete". When leaving it without a finish, what level of sanding/MM do you use? Anything special done after sanding, i.e. wax, etc? Thanks.
I sanded with the grain 320, 400 and then 600. Denatured alcohol to remove the dust and that is it for me. I've done waxes before on this but I just prefer it with no finish.

Twvaman

That's a fine looking pen. Good job

Jon Nutting

I have for sale Irish bog oak pen blanks.
Bog oak comes from the midlands of Ireland.
Size: 3/4 x 3/4 x 5.5 inch.
Blanks are kiln dry and have no cracks.
Price for 5 blanks - $20.00 plus $5.50 for postage.
Payment through PayPal.
Delivery from Ireland to USA takes 5-7 working days.

I have this bogoak carbon dated from queens university Belfast. A copy of the results will be giving with each purchase. (4464bc +/- 9 years or later).

Here is my last tread from last year.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f15...s-6500-years-old-158990/f158...rs-old-157209/

i can send blanks that are black or a mixture of black and brown blanks. Pm me for preference.
Do you have any left for sale?

penicillin

The seller (@Twvaman) has been gone for a year and has not returned since that post above.

What made his bog oak special is that it was dendochronologically dated in a university lab. The method compares the tree ring spacing against a known reference pattern. I have never seen any other old wood where someone went to the trouble of accurately dating it.

You can find ancient bog oak from many sources, not just Ireland. I have seen them from England, Russia, Ukraine, and more. Search for "bog oak pen blanks". eBay is one source, but there are many others.

Rockler has several types of special pen blanks, each with a business card size certificate. They have ancient bog wood from the English Fens. They have ancient kauri wood, which is 30,000 to 50,000 years old. It may be older, but that's the limit of carbon dating. Most of these pen blanks are way overpriced, but if you live near a store, there is no shipping cost.
https://www.rockler.com/certified-ancient-bog-oak-pen-blank
https://www.rockler.com/ancient-kauri-pen-blank

penicillin

Do you still have some?
If you are asking the original poster, he has been gone for a while, and left no indication that he plans to return. If you are asking me, the answer is yes, I have a small number left, but I am not interested in selling any of them.

Permit me to point out that if I or anyone else were to sell them, there is no easy way for the buyer to distinguish between ordinary undated bog oak versus the real, dated ones. For that matter, I have no way to prove that the dated bog oak I received comes from the same wood that was tested at the university laboratory, other than my trust in the original seller, Twvaman.

If you want to make pens from ancient bog oak pen blanks, there are plenty of sources from Ireland and elsewhere. They may not be scientifically dated but they are over 1000 years old. Many of them advertise 4000-6000 years old. Those pen blanks will cut and smell the same on your lathe as the scientifically dated ones ... kinda' like charcoal. In addition to the Rockler links above, check eBay.

Quite honestly, I doubt that many pen owners care much about the precise scientific dating anyway. They are all very very old. The look of the wood in the pens is not that interesting. If you finish them with CA, they turn almost black. The ones that I finished with Hut Crystal Coat looked better, but that finish is not very durable. Photo: Faith Hope Love pen in Irish Bog Oak with Hut Crystal Coat finish.

Faith Hope Love Pen in Irish Bog Oak.JPG

greenacres2

I've been wondering how @Twvaman was doing. Ireland got hit pretty hard with the Covid, so i'm hoping he's okay. I sent him a early in 2020 (his bog oak on a PSI Celtic--he's not a turner) and we swapped a few e-mails, but then the conversation dried up. Hoping he's okay.
earl

Top Bottom