Central Texas Pen Noob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Ogden

Greetings, everyone!
I've been turning bigger (wood) stuff for several years. A while back, I wondering about possible Christmas gifts for my relatives. They are all pretty religious. Along the way I happened to run across packages of "Genuine Bethlehem Olive Wood Pen Blanks". Hmmm. Why not? So I watched a few dozen pen turning videos and bought some essential and nice-to-have pen turning gear.

I am about a dozen pens into the game now. I started with some blanks I made from a mesquite tree I trimmed and processed. Then I turned a few commercial wood blanks. I like it! I'm now into my third acrylic(?) pen. I think after I get through the acrylics I'll stick with wood.

I'm looking for a source of high quality kits. I've used Legacy kits so far. Some of them are pretty good (in my estimation) and some are really quite marginal (as in the fit is not bery snug).

Anyhow, I'm sure I'll be asking noob questions and getting inspiration from some of the pro-types around.

Cheers!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Mike.
You can post photographs if you would like, as we would like to see them.

I use kits from Beaufort Ink in the main. They are excellent kits and are available in the US.

Alan

d_bondi

Welcome Mike, You can look at Exotic Blanks or Penn State for good quality pens and blanks.
I agree with Gary re. Exotic Blanks and Penn State.
I have not been as happy with the quality of the kits from Woodcraft and Rockler.

its_virgil

I agree with Gary re. Exotic Blanks and Penn State.
I have not been as happy with the quality of the kits from Woodcraft and Rockler.
Woodcraft and Rockler sell the same kits as Exotic Blanks for the most part: Berea Hardwoods Kits or kits from PSI. Many (most) vendors sell lits from either Berea Hardwoods or PSI. Some rebrand them and some do not. Any reseller of Berea or PSI kits will be less expensive than Woodcraft or Rockler.

Woodcraft, for example, sell Berea Hardwoods KIts but rebrands them: Wall Street II and III are the Sierra and Sierra Vista from Berea. The Navigator is the Baron from Berea Hardwoods and so on.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

MTViper

Mike, welcome from the Abilene area. Pass through Gatesville to visit my daughter-in-law and her mother in Temple (Son deployed to Saudi). If you need anything from west TX, let me know.

Todd in PA

Welcome. We'd like to see some photos of what you've done so far.

I've been getting more of my kits directly from Berea this year. They're running sporadic sales where an item is 50% off. You just have to subscribe and watch the emails until the item you want shows up on sale…then stock up. 🤑

Top Bottom