Center bits..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurnedAround

I want to start drilling blanks and pendant holes on the lathe. Are center bits as good, as much of the consensus seems to indicate? Where is a source that has a good price/value rating? Can they be sharpened by hand or Drill Dr.? I saw one set at Harbor Freight for less than $10 but can they be sharpened?

What's the most effective way to incorporate them into the Blank drilling or the pendant drilling process?

Thanks, yall, I've never used them but heard they serve a valid purpose.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Wats a center bit?
Are you using that term for brad points?

No.. he's speaking of a center drill.

I don't think it's worth your time to try to sharpen them by hand since they are so cheap. You definitely cannot sharpen them on a drill doctor that I know of.

You can get them at Enco or Mcmaster-Carr or any of the other places for around a buck or so.

KenV

Center bits are a very short stiff machinist drill bit that is used to start holes. They often come in sets for the small sizes. Available from most of the machinist tool sources with better quality and precision costing more.

The ones I have are much too short to fit into the drill doctor, and the combination of basic bit and 60 degree counter sink is not something that Drill Doctor likes anyway. I hone with a fine diamond hone a few times and then have a tool and die person do a grind with a diamond wheel.

Good tool for use before a boring bar - hole starting, or for working in difficult materials with different textures.

TurnedAround

Thanks people. That's the consensus I'm getting from a lot of people. Since I'm only going to be using them on wood and not that often I'll probably buy em cheap, use and abuse and toss. Thanks again.

Ed

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I don't think you will get any advantage if you are just going to use them on wood. Unless you intend to centre drill the ends of a blank prior to rounding it between centres. You should be able to fit a normal smallish ( say 1/4 ) drill deep enough in the chuck to achieve similar rigidity ( for wood or plastic )
Alternately, the drill from a holesaw arbor is pretty good and of course can be sharpened. Centre drills are used primarily for metal.
Pic of centre drills attached.

Attachments

• Tungsten-Carbide-Centre-Drill.jpg
    Tungsten-Carbide-Centre-Drill.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,175

Paul in OKC

I have used them once or twice on wood. They can help if the ends to be drilled are not 'flat'. Keeps the drill bit from wondering at the start. Yes, they can be touched up by hand, but it is not as easy as sharpening a drill bit, but......

Top Bottom