Celtic knot addition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Got my new tool rest from Rick Herrell today and this is the first pen using it. Tried out a new addition to a Celtic knot that I had been thinking about. The tool rest is awesome, I had Rick make it 3.5 inches long and it sure is nice to be able to have it closer to the pen blank. The pen turned out great, the aluminum dots are centered in the diamonds. The knot itself is technically correct, proportion wise. I think the dots are a nice addition to a knot and it's something I have never seen before. Materials are pretty simple, just maple and some red acrylic and of course aluminum rod that is 3/32 diameter CA finish. Critiques welcome.
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK, getting those dots centered as well as you did is ridiculous... That precision is not, not, not easy. šŸ‘

Forget the dots, they are awesome, nuf said...

The knot is also superb. I look for the top (or bottom) edges to see if they are aligned, yours are.

I then look to the inside triangles top/middle and bottom/middle to see if they are the same size. Again, yours are! (again, not easy).

The trim rings are great as are the end caps. All alignment is excellent.

Yea, an OK blank... šŸ¤­ (Well done Ken).

jttheclockman

That is different for sure. well done. My critique, small as it may be the dots made from the same red material would make it jump even more. Aluminum gets lost in the maple. I had to take a second look after I read your description. Did not see them at first. Like I said just someone looking at it from a segmenting eye and a small maybe. Nice work though overall. That is a design that does not get old and there are many versions and things that can be done with it. keep up your great work. Always like looking at your creations.

KenB259

OK, getting those dots centered as well as you did is ridiculous... That precision is not, not, not easy. [emoji106]

Forget the dots, they are awesome, nuf said...

The knot is also superb. I look for the top (or bottom) edges to see if they are aligned, yours are.

I then look to the inside triangles top/middle and bottom/middle to see if they are the same size. Again, yours are! (again, not easy).

The trim rings are great as are the end caps. All alignment is excellent.

Yea, an OK blank... šŸ¤­ (Well done Ken).

Thanks Mark. This was just a proof of concept more than anything else. The knot I had glued up a few weeks ago. It turned out nice enough, I went ahead and assembled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

EricRN

That's a great looking pen! Also, I love your stand. Impressive on both counts.

qquake

It is a Cortona. I really like the kit. I think more segmentors would like them if they gave them a try. There is a lot of "meat" left in them to play with. Also the easiest pen to assemble that there is. It would be my vote for the pen kit newbies should start with.

Oh yeah, I've made a couple of those, the version with stylus. I didn't recognize it.

Top Bottom