Celluliod air bubbles ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txcwboy

I turned this today .Its from Craft Supply. Are these air bubbles ?
Dave

airbubbles.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fishshooter

I bought one like this at Woodcraft but it is red.. It was called something "mesh". Looks like the type of mesh from an athletic jersey.. I do not think that they are bubbles..

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
For the circles along the upper left and lower right, the pattern and size appear too uniform to be bubbles.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
They are not bubbles. I think they use a perforated white acrylic sheet in the mix. I too have the blue and red one. I just wish they had a green one too.:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The marks you have are "chatter marks" (my term).

Your tool vibrated and "bit into" the material.

Sharpen the tool, tighten the tailstock, eliminate the vibration and take one or two FINAL passes. Your blank SHOULD look like its wet with these passes, you will remove the mark(s) and you won't create any new ones.

Good LUCK!!! It CAN BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As I thought about this, there IS a second option:

Get out some 100-200 grit sandpaper, lower your lathe speed to about 1000 rpm or less and sand out the marks. This will also PROVE to you that they are not in the blank, since they won't occur with sandpaper.

Sanding at this level will make scratches that will have to be removed, so the process becomes LONGER as a result - but it IS foolproof. Remember, you will have to work up in 50-60 grit increments until you get to about 400, otherwise you will NOT fully remove the 150 grit scratches. Stop the lathe and check occassionally. One Black pen took me THREE TIMES as long as most pens do, just last night because the scratches would NOT come out (started at 240 grit, but I usually start at 320, the difference was amazing - to me!!):D:D:D:D

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I bought a red blank and was surprised that it had the same kind of marks on the inside as yours does. I was filling a custom order and the customer liked it. Go figure.

Firefyter-emt

Dave, If you are talking about the large holes in that ribbon, that is the way it is supposed to be. I have done these blanks and it's hit or miss on how the ribbon will present itself, I have never seen one so vivid as that yet. You can even see some spots where the ribbon has been cut to width and only half a hole is visiable.

txcwboy

I dont like it. I told them and they mailed me a new one. Its NOT chatter marks. I got the new one and its on the blank right out in the open on that one.It was hidden on the other, or I didnt know to look for it. I dont think it shows up on the demo pieces on their site.

Dave

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Yeah, I got a few from them, and they ALL have those holes in hte acrylic sheet that's inside the blank...all very pronounced..

I don't mind them, but I would really have preferred to know before I ordered them - they don't appear like that on the website.

Andrew

Top Bottom