Cedar.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skewer

Skewer

I was gifted some very rough cedar boards, and decided to return the gift with a pen out of the same wood. This was the second piece i cut from it - the first piece had the other corner of the knot, which ejected as it sat in my garage and the temperature dropped. I was using a barrel trimmer on the side closest to the knot, and it cracked the end a little. I filled it in with dust/shavings and couldn't find it afterwards. Finish is CA. I'm very happy with the glossiness of the finish, but on close study after i was done, i found some very small particles on the cap under the CA...not sure if they are dust or voids, but a little disappointed to find that. Most people probably wouldn't see it, but i can't un-see it...I'm sure you guys know how that goes.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 280
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I've always known Eastern Red Cedar to be one of the most awesome, very accessible pieces of wood to turn. Yes, I know the knots are not the most fun to 'manage' but like this one...WOW!

Very well done, and nice finish too!!!

Scott (ERC dust isn't fun) B

Sataro

Besides having a nice smell when cutting cedar in the shop, it also makes a fantastic looking pen! Which is exactly what you ended up with...love the look of that cedar on that pen. Great fit & finish...

PapaTim

I'll bet the recipient of that pen will be amazed that it came from a rough looking board. Well done and very classy looking.

Top Bottom