Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mather323

I made my first mold out of a cutting board. I bought my PR form art stuff and my question is, do I need to use a release agent to coat my mold with when pour it? Also how do I mix in the die that is a powder, do I put it on top of the PR after it is in the mold and mix in? Thanks for the help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwenman

I have also made 2 molds out of 1/2" cutting boards. The first time I mixed and poured, when cured, the pr had shrunk just enough that it popped right out when the mold was turned over. The 2nd time it did not and needed some encouragement.

As for a release, I have read where some wipe on a thin coat of vaseline to the sides and bottom and some have even used spray on PAM that you can get at the grocery store.

In regards to the pigments. Just mix them into your resin BEFORE adding the MEKP/Hardner

ElMostro

I have cast both PR an Alumilite in the cutting board molds and the PR shrunk enough to pop right out; for the alumilite you would need to take the sides off to get the block out. I made the mold using drywall screws and take it apart every time to remove the cast. Oh, I don't use any release with either.
Eugene

Daddy1

I don't use a release agent either. I usually mix the resin and hardener and then add the powder dye and mix and then pour in to mold.

For mold release I like the Meguiars #8 Mirror Glaze Mold Release Wax. It's hard to find just off the shelf though. You can use diluted dish detergent. I have even seen some miniatures casters use lip wax for chapped lips (just a dab will do ya).

Top Bottom