casting with a hole all the way through?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

I was asked to make a few slide on handles. The center will need to be hollow all the way through.
Can I cast the resin with a aluminum bar turned to the diameter and then push the bar out? It will be about 5-6" long

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I would use a nonstick plastic rod like Delrin. Maybe a nylon or pvc might work. Just as long as you do not use an epoxy resin. Make rod long enough so you can twist if need be.

hanau

I would use a nonstick plastic rod like Delrin. Maybe a nylon or pvc might work. Just as long as you do not use an epoxy resin. Make rod long enough so you can twist if need be.
what resin would you recommend? I will look ino the Delrin I might beable to find it already the size i need.

JohnU

I would use a urethane resin like "Alumilite Clear" and HDPE, delrin / acetal, or others mentioned will work. Spray a little mold release on it and it should come out with a little help. I've cast several blocks with holes in them using delrin rods. I just knocked it out of the resin using a second rod and a hammer after it's cured.

jttheclockman

what resin would you recommend? I will look ino the Delrin I might beable to find it already the size i need.
John gave you example of resin. I use Silar41. Anything but epoxy because they stuff sticks to everything which makes it good for certain castings like watch part blanks. Good luck.

Top Bottom