Casting Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This is a pet peeve that I am sure others have seen but it just adds to the mistrust opinion of the common man. We all know how manufacturers play games with packaging and contents and probably one of the big ones is potato chip bags as an example just to give you an idea of my direction. Well believing I should be able to get back in my shop this winter and start making some pens again I have been gathering some supplies. One of these is casting resin. I am a fan of Liquid Diamonds epoxy casting resin. Have used this for quite some time now and like it for what I do. Well I placed an order with Turners Warehouse and received the resin Wed. I specifically wrote in the comment section on the order form that I wanted full bottles. I have read on many sites that these bottles do not come close to being full and sure enough mine did not either. Now the company changed the bottle but that is no excuse. I have ordered in the past and they used a different bottle but they were always full. I wrote Chad last night and to his credit he answered right back today. He too does not like new bottles but is forced to sell them. He says that resin is sold by weight and filled that way automatically. All well and good and can understand the bottle needs room for some expansion I guess. But 1-1/2" from the top portion of the widest part is a bit much to my thinking. As I said you go on any place that sells resins this is a common complaint. And yet when you see the ads on all these sites the bottles they show are filled right to the top. It has been talked about Alumilite had this problem before and maybe still does. I do not use it so can not say. They were even more outrageous in not being full with some of their brands.

I guess my point here other than feeling ripped off and just venting, is, if this is such a common practice then state so in your ad. So it does not come as such an obvious shock to consumer. We as consumers have been accustomed to these practices in the food dept and other grocery needs but come on already. Chad did offer free return and did say he would pass on concerns to manufacturer but we all know where that is going. Maybe as I age I am getting more and more curmudgeon like and these type things irk me more but if other members seen this and are too feeling cheated the same way as I, this is the thread to vent in. 😩😩 Rant over.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

They probably did sell them fuller at one time, but like, it seems, all manufacturers, they continuously reduce the overall amount and charge the same price, so in effect you are paying more for their products. They also probably don't want to incur more expense on their end by redoing their packaging. So they just use the same packaging and put less in, weight will work out regarding the resin, but you get less. I agree with you, but that tactic has been going on for years. I still remember when ice cream came in gallons, now they're not even full half gallons 😡

MRDucks2

If I am buying by the pound, gallon, ounce, or quart it doesn't matter what size the container is as long as I get all that I paid for.

By the same token, I prefer all containers be sized to what is in them to take up less space.

I do understand right now that boxes, jugs, etc. could very well be changing based on availability. Not sure about past history.

Kenny Durrant

John, I'm thinking there might be to different angles being observed here. The first one that came to my mind was that Liquid Diamonds along with others is based on weight. So if the part that weighs more was the same volume that weighs less you'd end up with unnecessary waste. So as mentioned with the price of things now a days that should be a bigger issues than a bottle that's not quite full. The other thing is that if you have a bottle that's half full and need a bigger box to ship then the size versus cost comes into play. I'd be upset with paying more for shipping because of the size of the package than the bottles being half full. Funny you bright up potato chips. I remember when there seemed to be less and less in the bag except maybe air. Some said it was settling but I think it was more to make the consumer think he was getting more.

MRDucks2

John, I'm thinking there might be to different angles being observed here. The first one that came to my mind was that Liquid Diamonds along with others is based on weight. So if the part that weighs more was the same volume that weighs less you'd end up with unnecessary waste. So as mentioned with the price of things now a days that should be a bigger issues than a bottle that's not quite full. The other thing is that if you have a bottle that's half full and need a bigger box to ship then the size versus cost comes into play. I'd be upset with paying more for shipping because of the size of the package than the bottles being half full. Funny you bright up potato chips. I remember when there seemed to be less and less in the bag except maybe air. Some said it was settling but I think it was more to make the consumer think he was getting more.
Lol. I remember being told that more air in the bag protected the chips better during shipment. Nope!

jttheclockman

Good to see some feeling my pain and getting my thoughts. LD changed their packaging either this year or last year and now super clear plastic bottles and am guessing to show off how clear the resin is when new. They supply 2 different size bottles because it is a 2:1 ratio and each bottle is not full. As Chad pointed out the product is sold by weight. OK then why not make the bottles fit the weight of the product? You just changed bottles. When you buy a bottle that is about 7/8 full you automatically think scam and that is what I am thinking and as I said this complaint is not mine alone. Go to any vendor site and read the comments. Amazon, Ebay, Etsy. Those do not trim their comment sections as I bet most vendors do. Now if weight changes with each batch they make then that is a whole other problem not being consistent. Please do not tell me to buy from a reputable vendor because they all sell the same product. They are not the makers. As I told Chad then do the reputable thing and put a disclaimer within the ad stating this dilemma and it does not come as a surprise when buying.

To the potato chip thing, I heard the air excuse also and that is bunk. Just about every product on the market is shrinking and less amount in packaging but prices keep rising and why is because THEY CAN!!!!!!

Top Bottom