Casting PA pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Celt40

I have read a lot of past posts on PA casting. It's now time for me to try this for myself. I want to make my own pen blanks,i have got most of the materials i will need to start, except a good choice in colours to use. What type of colouring is best to use with water clear resin? Is it transparent or RAL? Is this the best resin to use? How do i cast over a tube without filling up the tube with PA? Can anyone in UK let me know where they get there materials from, i have used East Coast Fiberglass Supplies, but they don't have much of a choice in colours. What is the best depth to cast in one pour, and can i build up layers to make more blanks?
As you see i could ask questions all day, but this will do just now!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

OK, I'll try to get a couple of these.

Do you mean PR, or polyester resin?

Many coloring methods can be used. I have used powders and liquid dyes. The main thing with liquid is that they change the dry (cure) times.

Water clear resin is "water clear". Totally transparent.

Most here like water clear "casting resin". Some also use Alumalte.

To cast over a tube, you must plug the ends with corks or plugs and weight the tube down so it doesn't float in the resin.

Don't know where to find it in the UK.

You can pour pretty deep. Never tested this theory, but should be able to go several inches or more.

You can layer it. It's not meant to, but it has been done with success.

its_virgil

There is a new (and excellent) article on the home page about casting polyester resin. It covers all that you will need to know. There are several other articles in the library about casting polyester resin and they probably answer the questions the one on the home poge doesn't. There is also an article on casting snake skin blanks that shows how to use corks and wooden squares to hold the tubes. Good luck with your casting. We have several members here from the UK and I'll bet a couple of them can answer your questions about where over there to purchase supplies. Good luck with your casting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Celt40

Thanks Steve and Don,
I have read some of the articals in library. Yes I mean Polyester Resin.
Is the water clear not the best to use. I thought using Standard Resin would make it go a Yellowish colour.
Is it possable to use the RAL Colours as there is a far better range.
I will get there can't wait to try my own mix. Just like a kid at Christmas.

Dermot

stevers

I know what you mean Dermont. Water clear is what we all use. It stays crystal clear.
I don't know what RAL is. Probably something simple and I'll go, oh duh.

Celt40

Sorry Steve it's just my lack ot knowlage, i thought that there were other resins. Now i know that i have the right resin to start. RAL is the other kind of colouring on website that i bought my supplies from. There are a lot more colours of this than the Transparent pigment. When you said that i can use liquid and powder dyes, what kind of liquid dyes do you mean? Has it got to be linked to resins or can NORMAL dye be used, ie clothes dye??????
Don't all laugh if this is not possible [:I]

Have a look at site, and see what RAL is

www.ecfiberglasssupplies.co.uk

Celt40

Just though of this. Do i need to cure under pressure? If not will the blanks be any different?
[:I].

JohnU

Dermot, I tried powdered rit dye on my first cast and it was not very good. It didnt break down and left clumps in the resin. I bought some pearl ex at hobby lobby and it works great. I dont have a pressure tank yet and have had some success with minimum bubbles by pouring a very slow small stream of resin. I have to fill some small voids with CA upon finishing but theyre not noticable when done. A pressure tank is in my future for some pours with objects like coffee beans and things but for now, I just set the mold on the table of my scroll saw and turn it on for a bit to vibrate the bubble up. Ive also found that the large gallon sized zip lock baggies work well to put the molds in when curing so it doesnt continue to fill the shop and house with the resin smell. Good Luck!

Top Bottom