Cast/stabilize & colour

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

I was admiring George's BEB pen with the teal colouring and got to wonder if Min Wax - of which I have asolutely no knowledge, apart from what I've read here- can be coloured/dyed and used like a casting resin.
Could I please get some advice on this from the expeienced casters and stabilizers in the group?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

R2, Hi. Minwax is a brand of water based and oil based poly and stains. If that is what you are talking about I doubt it can be used for casting. On the other hand they have a product that is Minwax "Wood hardener" that I use to soak soft punky wood in to it hardens the fibers. Although I have not done so I think that mixing an oil based dye in it and soaking the wood in that you could get to dye the wood some in addition to hardening it. I would venture to guess that cross cut blanks would take mor of the liquid and dye in. In normal cut blanks I don't think it would penetrate too deep. This link will give you more information.
http://www.minwax.com/products/woodmaint/hardener.cfm
I hope this helps some, Eugene

neon007

Ok im no expert but I will tell you what I have had some success with. Some of the guys and gals here do a finish where they disolve plexiglass in acetone. I took it a bit further. I used trans tinted plexi and made it about the consistency of id say between thin and med. CA. then I poured it in my mold. Put it under 900psi. Yes thats two zeros. I have access to a hpc at work. Anyway good results. Fully penetrated. Turned like a dream. Just like PR. I know that not everyone has access to some of the equipment that I do, but I know it will work at way lower psi. Just do a search on stabilizing and use whatever pressures are recommended. Good luck.

rhahnfl

I know solvent dye added to minwax polyurethane doesn't penetrate very deep despite being turned to round and pre drilled. I still had to boost some buckeye burl after turning to get it to the shade I needed. It did strengthen the wood nicely though. I just did a couple of blanks that way this last week. Let them stew for 4 days prior to drying.

Top Bottom