carts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Odinswoodshop

Hello All
I am receiving my second midi lathe here in a few days (extremely excited). but I turn bowls cups and a lot of pens, my kids turn pens as well. I thought about designing a cart that was wide enough to have my extended midi lathe and deep enough to mount the other lathe opposite of it on the other side. I would love to get your thoughts on this and even better some pictures of your carts. also if you have any spiffy ways of storing your cutting tools.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-22 224505.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-22 224505.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 165

monophoto

Interesting idea, but here are a couple of thoughts to consider.

I have my midi-lathe mounted on a bench/cart that consists of the undercarriage of a retired gas grill with a top made from 2x6 construction pine. I don't move it often, but the fact that is is on wheels means that at least in theory I can move it for cleaning if I am so inspired. Most of the time, it remains parked against a wall, between a short wall on the left and a set of shelves on the right.

I have a series of holes drilled in the bench top along the back side to hold tools. That works reasonably well.

But the one negative is that cleaning up the shavings and dust that accumulates behind the lathe and in front of that tool rack is a real pain.

So, concern #1 would be for how easy it would be to keep area between the too lathes clean. You would have to reach over one or the other to clean between them - - -

Another concern is would you anticipate the situation where two people would be working in your shop at the same time. Normally, the area behind the lathe is considered a 'target zone' for chips and other stuff that is thrown off of the lathe (which is why in demonstrations it is usual to see large plexiglass panels shielding the lathe from the audience). If you have two lathes back-to-back, users of both lathes would be in the 'line of fire' if they attempted to work simultaneously.

pshrynk

New Olympic Sport: Full Contact Turning. šŸ˜ Seriously, monophoto's point is true. I remember the shrapnel that was flying around the first time I turned a PennStone blank...

Top Bottom