Cap question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Currently my kitless fountain pen cap does not overlap the lower barrel, how do I make that happen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

I'm not sure what size you are using, but this is how I do it with a stepped pen. Don't thread from the end of the cap. Open up the first mm or 2 with one or two sizes larger than your bit used for your tap. Make sure the step of your barrel is just under the size of the lip and it will create an overlap.

For example, I drill 31/64" for my tap. I then drill out the first 1-2mm (length of the overlap) with a 35/64 before I thread. As long as my barrel step is just under that size, the cap will go over the step and create an overlap.

1692121421696.png

I'm not sure what size you are using, but this is how I do it with a stepped pen. Don't thread from the end of the cap. Open up the first mm or 2 with one or two sizes larger than your bit used for your tap. Make sure the step of your barrel is just under the size of the lip and it will create an overlap.

For example, I drill 31/64" for my tap. I then drill out the first 1-2mm (length of the overlap) with a 35/64 before I thread. As long as my barrel step is just under that size, the cap will go over the step and create an overlap.

View attachment 358810
That's how I do it as well.

Hippie3180

View attachment 358810
Excellent! Thank you so much, great image because I can see what you are talking about. I had an idea it was something like that, but wasn't sure.

Hippie3180

I discovered something quite by accident. If you hold off your threads just a bit on the body, the cap will overlap slightly. I guess really it's the same concept as the wider opening on the cap,if you don't have threads at the very end of your tenon of your body, the cap will overhang.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpeg
    IMG_2049.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2041.jpeg
    IMG_2041.jpeg
    610.5 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom