Can't find the thread Please help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I am looking for the thread that had the picture of the someone using the QCTP and feed to drill instead instead of the tail stock.

I am not being lazy I seriously can't find it and I want the name of the product.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Mark,

Drilling this way the mechanics of holding a drill, piece of cake, the real setting up of a drill to any depth of cut scary.

The considerations are height, parrellellism of the drill once fitted and dead facing when you make the cut and the endless possibilities on the way.

For eons of time machinists using metal lathes have used some form of collet chuck in the tailstock designed for this purpose or a jacobs type chuck. Why for instant repeatability, the QCPT although fantastic in so many ways has so many variables and if you intend to use it for a variety of purposes as I do you will spend considerable time in the twilight zone
ie setting up instead of producing.

Now depending on the real quality of your lathe, bed, mounting feed speed and real time Engineering skills please approach this situation with these factors that are real.

You have expressed a desire for availability and this has been answered, have success and perhaps for real mortals such as me lets know your project and success.

Metal lathe makers go to extraordinary lengths to line up point to point centre drilling you will need to do precicesly the same using mostly after market QCPT units that are not designed for your lathe in particular but compromise in mounting and calibration IMHO.

Recently I have had great success using tiny end mills in my QCTP to make final cuts of real accuracy in small holes using small end mills as static cutters to achieve snug and true round holes. The bugbear of drilling accuracy commences with the real sizes the drill starts off with ie by accurate measurement by me at the source, these no 2 morse taper drills at the best are more expensive and have long overhangs, infinite size changes are dynamite pricing for quality.

When you smile and say hey wheres this guy get off trying to help me when all I want is to find the QCTP block disregard my comments all made in good faith as support in your actual use of your lathe in general.

Kind regards Peter.

Wish you success

Haynie

Thanks folks.

No problem pwhay. I accept all advice when it comes to these tools. I The throw on my ENCO is wicked short and I need to drill a longer than normal hole. Hoping for an easy go of it with one of these. Maybe not the thing to do.

Top Bottom