Can you use a chopsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Weaselrunner

Very new to turning. Wondering if you could use a chopsaw to cut and trim the ends of pen blanks rather than using some of the other methods for squaring up?? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I would think so. Make sure the blade is clean and sharp. Some use a tablesaw which, IMO, is just a different way the blade is positioned. I use a bandsaw as it is already set up to make cuts. My shop is small and requires shuffling three things to use the TS or CS.

jttheclockman

Very new to turning. Wondering if you could use a chopsaw to cut and trim the ends of pen blanks rather than using some of the other methods for squaring up?? Thanks
The answer to that is no. No cut off tool including tablesaw, bandsaw or chopsaw will give you the square to the tube ends. Sorry For this you need a tool that will reference the end of the tube to the end of the blank to be square. The reason is even if you cut the blanks square the chance of drilling the tube hole 90 degrees to that squared end is almost impossible. The best way to square that end is either to use a barrel trimmer or sand it flush using the various methods mentioned on this site with a disc sander and some way to hold the tube 90 degrees to it.

Now with that said using a chop saw is perfectly fine for rough cutting to size. Good luck and Happy Turning.

bsshog40

I agree with John, hard to get blank and tube square with one cut. 90% of the time I use a barrel trimmer. Sometimes my stationary disk sander but I level the table each time I use it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
What he (John T) said. Square to the TUBE, not the blank.

Pen mill squaring jigs come in many sizes and flavors, so to speak. Sanding is generally the best IMHO. Sanding allows one to control the precise amount that is needed; blades are faster and another IMO caution - blades can catch and cut too much for the inexperienced as well as experienced. Squaring the tube in a blank should be done by sneaking up on the perfect length as wells as square-ness and sanding does this easier. Blades requires more multi-task thinking and a fraction of a second is critical to precise amount. Sanding allows one to concentrate upon the perfect amount. Many people do well with blades, and then there are the times with the special blank that a tad too much was cut off in an instant, ruining the special pen that requires the precise length. Since you are new to this, many blade users hold the blank in one hand and a cordless drill in the other. This is a recipe for seriously cut fingers for the inexperienced.

Last edited:

derekdd

Rough cutting blanks with a powered miter saw would work but that puts your fingers dangerously close to the blade. I'd use a clamp to secure it and keep my fingers away.

I haven't had good luck with barrel trimmers so I use a disc sander for squaring blanks once the tubes are in.

Last edited:

BULLWINKLE

Rough cutting blanks with a powered miter saw would work but that puts your fingers dangerously close to the blade. I'd use a clamp to secure it and keep my fingers away.

I haven't had good luck with barrel trimmers so I use a disc sander for squaring blanks once the tubes are in.
I agree. I've always used a cutoff saw. I have jigs to hold the blanks, allowing plenty of clearance for my hands. I use a trimmer with carbide blades to square off and have great results. There are many different ways to cut blanks but whatever you choose, PUT SAFETY FIRST ! It's hard to make pens (or anything else) if you lose fingers.

Top Bottom