Can cocobolo be stabilized?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

The issue is more of the oil in Cocobolo. Even the most dense materials can be stabilized. They can even get the stuff into metals in engine blocks for various reasons. Problem is if the cells are occupied by water or oils or other substances, the stabilizing material has nowhere to go.

joycetang

Good question! The reason I'd consider stabilizing it is I'd like to put a sterling silver filigree over it; the fit needs to be tight so it would be best if it didn't expand or contract with varying humidity or temperature. Sounds like cocobolo can't be stabilizied so now the question is, would this be a good wood for this pen or maybe I should use something else that can be stabilized?

alamocdc

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />The issue is more of the oil in Cocobolo. Even the most dense materials can be stabilized. They can even get the stuff into metals in engine blocks for various reasons. Problem is if the cells are occupied by water or oils or other substances, the stabilizing material has nowhere to go.
Well, this ain't the first time I've been wrong.[:D] And probably won't be the last.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by joycetang
<br />Good question! The reason I'd consider stabilizing it is I'd like to put a sterling silver filigree over it; the fit needs to be tight so it would be best if it didn't expand or contract with varying humidity or temperature. Sounds like cocobolo can't be stabilizied so now the question is, would this be a good wood for this pen or maybe I should use something else that can be stabilized?

If this is your wood of choice, you might consider using clear jewlers glue for the filigree. Actually, I don't think you would have a problem.

Pipes

I can't see why one would need to ? That IMHO is one a the best woods to turn and takes a GREAT polish !! I ship a LOT of my tampers with N0 or very little finish maybe just a tad a wax on this wood! and tell my cust to wax it if they feel the need !!!

OSCAR15

I do not understand....Some woods MUST be stabilized, and I usually try to avoid those (with a few exceptions). I hate the feel of the plastics, and resins. Most of my pens have just a shellac based friction polish. I know a lot of penmakers swear by CA but I'd rather re-finish than to have it feel like plastic. When the finish dulls on fine antiques, it is desirable, and called a "patina". Many penmakers however, want to turn fine wood into something that feels like plastic. I do not understand this. If I wanted it to feel like plastic, I would turn acrylics rather than wood...OSCAR

200632814347_butthead.gif

OSCAR15

Joyce...I think that most likely, Cocobolo is too oily a wood to take stabilization. I have never seen it available commercially.
If your design must use stabilized wood, I would recommend Box elder.
I have seen some that was dyed in reddish browns, similar in color (but not grain patterns) to cocobolo. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom