Calendar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe this topic deserves it's own thread.

For the past two years, it has been one of the items that is mentioned after the bash---"We should have a calendar".

Last year Mike created one, which many did not find (who knows how hard they looked!!) But, my observation about that was that it did not keep up to the changes.

This is NOT surprising!!!!!
Each contest chairman decides when he will open the contest, announce the rules, take entries, post entries, etc. But, during the month, this could change.

I believe we should be certain that the contest chairs can CHANGE the calendar, when they see their contest time line changing. I don't think it will be a successful strategy to have ONE calendar co-ordinator. We all know email, PM's etc get "lost".

Here is the scenario I foresee: Contest chairman decides to change the deadline for pen entries (move it earlier in the month by a couple days, as he sees how long the "judging" will take). The change does NOT make it onto the calendar and member A submits his pen----too late.

A barrage of complaints come down on the bash about the dates not being accurate, "nobody knows what they are doing", etc.

Alternative scenario: Contest chairman decides to change deadline (same as above) and posts the change to the "master calendar". Same guy enters late (you didn't think he would READ, did you??). Now, he has no beef.

I would think there is a way to allow only the chairmen to make changes to a "google" calendar, or some other "general access" location.

The calendar will become a very important document----I suggest we make every effort to make it accurate. The fewer "communications" this requires, the less the likelihood of "you didn't tell me to make a change"!~!

FWIW<
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I offered to set up a calendar in another thread on the Joomla site that hosts the forms. With this calendar, it is easy to give as many people as necessary editing rights to add, change, or delete calendar entries. I'd be happy to set it up if it is desirable.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
As a matter of fact, I would think it would be up to each contest chair to maintain their own entry in the calendar. I don't want to be responsible for maintaining the calendar as I may not have time to dot it right away. I am mainly offering to set it up and make it nice.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sounds like a great plan---is it also easy to incorporate into IAP, with a simple and prominent link? (Sorry, as you know I am NOT the web-brains in this building!!)

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Curtis, Please set it up as soon as you can so we can test and get used to it prior to actually needing it. Maybe we can place a test link in the planning forum.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Jeff, That is what I was wanting to see if you could embed in IAP when we discussed it on briefly on the phone. Otherwise, we will need you to create a prominent link somewhere.

Top Bottom