Calculating Cost to Make Bespoke vertical blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ridlaH

Hello everyone,

I did a search and couldn't seem to Find a thread on this topic, so I started one.

I'm contemplating getting into casting my own vertical bespoke pen blanks.

Has anyone done the math to figure the average cost per Bespoke blank (assuming I already have the silicone mold and pressure pot?

Just trying to ball park whether making my own would really save money, or whether it would only be worthwhile to allow me to choose color combos?

I currently buy from Hobble Creek Craftsman on Etsy.com and love that quality for blanks (as a reference).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

I don't have any information for you Ryan, but I am also interested to follow this thread.

And... I really like Mark's blanks too. I also like that he is about an hour from me, so I don't have to wait long when I place an order.

Hippie3180

Dyes and micas are fairly expensive, but a little goes a long way. You would need to approximate how much pigment you use as well as how much Alumilite or whatever by volume + mold release and labor. I can tell you it is more cost effective to make your own than to buy, from what I know and I may be wrong, there are not a lot of wholesale breaks in terms of pen supplies, so $15 + dollars out of each pen sold if the average sale price for a basic fountain pen is $175…and there are still more expenses to cover here such as converters, nibs, incidental's and labor. Many buy nice blanks and crank out volume to compensate, that is the alternative, sell more pens. Maybe someone will pop on with actual figures, I have an idea of what it costs us to make a blank and it's considerably less than buying, however getting the juju down is a skill that evolves, it's trickier than one would think.

ridlaH

Dyes and micas are fairly expensive, but a little goes a long way. You would need to approximate how much pigment you use as well as how much Alumilite or whatever by volume + mold release and labor. I can tell you it is more cost effective to make your own than to buy, from what I know and I may be wrong, there are not a lot of wholesale breaks in terms of pen supplies, so $15 + dollars out of each pen sold if the average sale price for a basic fountain pen is $175…and there are still more expenses to cover here such as converters, nibs, incidental's and labor. Many buy nice blanks and crank out volume to compensate, that is the alternative, sell more pens. Maybe someone will pop on with actual figures, I have an idea of what it costs us to make a blank and it's considerably less than buying, however getting the juju down is a skill that evolves, it's trickier than one would think.
Totally understand that there are many variables such as what resin you use, how much mica etc. I'm not looking for precise details but rather a ballpark....

For the sake of conversation, let's just say alumilite clear with 3 mica powder colors mixed in and poured into a 4 blank mold...

Just trying to ballpark the cost per mold or per blank. Just trying to figure if it would save me $3 per blank? Or $8 per blank or more?

JohnU

You can calculate resin, dyes, micas, scale, molds, mold release, nitrile gloves, micas, dyes, pressure pot, compressor, stir sticks, silicone mat, new clothes when you ruin yours with resin or dyes, and maybe even a designated area with table and racks to organize everything, but none of that is accurate until you know what you're doing.

How do you put a price on your time? Lots Of Time spent learning, trying to figure out what went wrong or how to get the results you're looking for or your blank style. There's the screw ups where something went wrong or they didnt turn out, or the colors bled together, or maybe the blanks just aren't that appealing. Let's not mention the spills or mess casting creates 🫢Or the occasional "how did that get in there" after the blanks cure.
Then there's the playing…. You see something, or had an idea… There's goes a quart of resin. Bottom line, you can semi calculate the investment of material but nobody starts out being good unless you're just doing one color pours. I know I wasted a few gallons in the beginning to get a small group of usable blanks. I still waste resin playing but I now usually have 30-40 gallons on hand, and buying larger quantities gives you a better price so you can play.

Thankfully time has gone by since then and there are YouTube videos, demos, and questions answered here but it's hard to put a price on education and experience to get what you want. Don't go into it because it saves you money … I don't think it will. Do it because you want more creative control or because you can't find the blanks you're looking for, because when you're spending more of your time making blanks, you aren't getting pens done.

Fred Bruche

In terms of instant saving, you will probably save closer to $8 than $3.
But there are a few things that you should consider.
Mixing resin with 3 mica colors and obtain the same quality blanks that you enjoy will take time, practice, technique, and discipline. You will likely use a gallon or two of resin before you start to have some control over the blank look. Are you in it for the long term?
If you are aiming at making one of a kind 4 blanks and never want to make the same again will require luck and a broad knowledge of color theory/harmony.
You might aim to make pens for yourself and be happy with the blank you made. What if you aim to make pens and sell them, unlikely that customers have the same "taste" as you. What blank makers offer is a broad diversity, some will appeal to you, and some won't. Again, are you in it for the long term?

Hippie3180

You could also think of it this way retail is usually figured at three times your cost, so if blanks are running $15 to $21, what must your cost be?

JohnU is a blank maker and his input is accurate, it takes technique and practice to turn out something decent. There will be lots of duds before the good ones happen, I'm still in the lots of duds phase honestly.

egnald

Based simply on Alumilite Clear Slow, I pour 5-inch blanks using schedule 80 PVC as a mold - (0.742" diameter). and the cost comes out to about $1.40 per blank. Then the mica powders, dyes, mixing cups, etc. etc. would need to be calculated and added in. Assuming a 10-inch blank, that would make the resin cost at $2.80. Although mica powders are expensive, the amount used is pretty small for an individual pour. Maybe $2 to $3 per pour, then the incidentals. Ballpark I would estimate $3.50 per blank compared with a purchase price of about $15 for a good quality blank, the savings is not too bad. But, it's creativity and the fun of it and not savings that drives my desire to cast my own.

I think Michele (Hippie3180) could be spot on with the retail being 3 x the actual cost, especially considering personal i.e. low volume production.

Dave

ridlaH

You can calculate resin, dyes, micas, scale, molds, mold release, nitrile gloves, micas, dyes, pressure pot, compressor, stir sticks, silicone mat, new clothes when you ruin yours with resin or dyes, and maybe even a designated area with table and racks to organize everything, but none of that is accurate until you know what you're doing.

How do you put a price on your time? Lots Of Time spent learning, trying to figure out what went wrong or how to get the results you're looking for or your blank style. There's the screw ups where something went wrong or they didnt turn out, or the colors bled together, or maybe the blanks just aren't that appealing. Let's not mention the spills or mess casting creates 🫢Or the occasional "how did that get in there" after the blanks cure.
Then there's the playing…. You see something, or had an idea… There's goes a quart of resin. Bottom line, you can semi calculate the investment of material but nobody starts out being good unless you're just doing one color pours. I know I wasted a few gallons in the beginning to get a small group of usable blanks. I still waste resin playing but I now usually have 30-40 gallons on hand, and buying larger quantities gives you a better price so you can play.

Thankfully time has gone by since then and there are YouTube videos, demos, and questions answered here but it's hard to put a price on education and experience to get what you want. Don't go into it because it saves you money … I don't think it will. Do it because you want more creative control or because you can't find the blanks you're looking for, because when you're spending more of your time making blanks, you aren't getting pens done.

ridlaH

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info. I don't suspect I'll be into blank making within the next 6-8 months (because I just started turning the pens, so one step at a time)... but I do like the idea of making my own just for the sake of personalized color combos and just the fun of learning and creating. No initial intent to sell blanks, but rather more just to get exactly what I envision for pen turning.

JohnU

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info. I don't suspect I'll be into blank making within the next 6-8 months (because I just started turning the pens, so one step at a time)... but I do like the idea of making my own just for the sake of personalized color combos and just the fun of learning and creating. No initial intent to sell blanks, but rather more just to get exactly what I envision for pen turning.
That's what it's all about. Do it because you have interest. Thats why I dove in. Selling came later and was never my intent. It was all about the creativity. Keep it fun!

NJturner

I always struggle when someone asks me what does it cost - generally about anything I produce. If I was concerned about the cost of most things I do in my shop, I would probably give it all up and book a 6 month cruise and save some cash! Instead, I am hooked on the excitement of the creation of the stuff I do - as it would be ridiculous to figure the cost of each piece. As an example, I was asked to make a specific 3 color pen blank for a friend. Good challenge. It took 12" rods before I was pleased with the result. My friend only needed enough for a single pen, so I guess I have lots of extra to play with, but it was good fun seeing if I could pull it off! Cost? figure 80 g of Alumilite Clear Slow per rod, or close to 1,000 grams which is about a 2 lb kit for $44. I bought 6 different mica's and dyes to get me in the ballpark at about $14 per, so about $84 in dye. Disposable stuff used was roughly $3. So, not counting the cost of my compressor and the electricity it uses, the pressure pot, the scale, thermometer, my time, etc, the cost was about $134 for the one rod I gave him plus the shipping to his house!! Not many folks I know would pay that for a single rod. Worth it? Hell yes....I had a great time and entertained myself for a week. Many thanks to Eye Candy and PTownsubbie for the assist on getting things I needed.

MRDucks2

I always struggle when someone asks me what does it cost - generally about anything I produce. If I was concerned about the cost of most things I do in my shop, I would probably give it all up and book a 6 month cruise and save some cash! Instead, I am hooked on the excitement of the creation of the stuff I do - as it would be ridiculous to figure the cost of each piece. As an example, I was asked to make a specific 3 color pen blank for a friend. Good challenge. It took 12" rods before I was pleased with the result. My friend only needed enough for a single pen, so I guess I have lots of extra to play with, but it was good fun seeing if I could pull it off! Cost? figure 80 g of Alumilite Clear Slow per rod, or close to 1,000 grams which is about a 2 lb kit for $44. I bought 6 different mica's and dyes to get me in the ballpark at about $14 per, so about $84 in dye. Disposable stuff used was roughly $3. So, not counting the cost of my compressor and the electricity it uses, the pressure pot, the scale, thermometer, my time, etc, the cost was about $134 for the one rod I gave him plus the shipping to his house!! Not many folks I know would pay that for a single rod. Worth it? Hell yes....I had a great time and entertained myself for a week. Many thanks to Eye Candy and PTownsubbie for the assist on getting things I needed.
I was doing custom color blanks by request for a while and decided to give it up (except for Chuck Hutchings 😁) because most people have difficulty describing their expectations. Chuck will send me a photo along with the description and ask me if I can "make this". That makes it much easier.

Many people will ask if I can make this color or that or multiple colors mixed base only on a verbal description or team colors. If I haven't done it before there is a cost to casting trial blanks to get it right, which I account for, but, in all honesty I have spent as much as $200 trying to make sure I got something right for $75 worth of blanks. Yes, the trials are all usable in somebodies lifetime but probably not mine.

That is a me problem, but just didn't want to mess with it anymore.

derekdd

Yeah, I've done this analysis, also and it's pretty negligible in terms of savings. It's really about the creativity.

I've got all the gear to make my own blanks but still find myself buying from a handful of vendors because I really like their work. We do resin work with coasters, serving boards, and smaller tables (coffee, end, etc.) so I do have some chops, but haven't taken a dive down this hole, yet.

Top Bottom