Cactus Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

bmac

A couple of rings I made this weekend using some of the internal skeleton of a prickly pear cactus pad that I had gotten from Curtis Seabeck several years ago. I took the ring blanks, inserted the cactus into the groove and then filled in with UV resin and cured with a UV light. One ring was painted lack, the other blue. With the use of UV resin, the possibilities are endless of what you can do.

Attachments

• 20210530_154618.jpg
    20210530_154618.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 20210530_154814.jpg
    20210530_154814.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@bmac
Very attractive indeed !!!

Three questions .....

1) What is the brand name of the UV resin, if you don't mind sharing, please.

2) Does the resin require you to mix in any other fluid , or is it solely the UV that causes it to set up and harden ?

3) Once you've got the cactus placed into the groove of the ring, how to you apply the resin so that it does not run out of the groove ?

The whole process is very interesting.

bmac

I have attached a picture of the resin I am using. Got it from Amazon but there are lots of brands out there. Alumilite has come out with there own brand that I may try. It's a one part resin that does not require it to mixed with a hardener. You use a UV flashlight to set the resin and it can also be placed in the sunlight to further cure it, but not required. The resin is fluid but not to the point of being overly runny. I usually place a small amount of resin in the groove, place whatever I am using as an inlay into the resin, hit it with the UV light for about 30 sec, then repeat. Once I have the groove completely filled, I go back and fill in any gaps or holes with a layer of resin, hitting it with the light as I go. Sometimes I do place it in the sun to help fully cure the resin to make sure it is good and hard. Then place the ring on the lathe and sand smooth and polish.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• uv resin.jpg
    uv resin.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 103

NJturner

Hi Bobby - I really like these rings! really creative pieces. I've not tried the UV cure epoxy, as I am still working out the kinks with normal 2 part slow, but you got me thinking!

Kevin - NJTurner

Top Bottom