Cactus blank raffle to benefit IAP--ENDED--

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
OK everyone, here is you chance to obtain 3 of my "World Famous" exclusive prickly pear cactus pen blanks AND to help IAP! I don't think I will ever be selling these due to the cost to produce so this might be your only chance unless you make your own! These are truely one of a kind blanks that very few people in the world have ever worked with.

Here is how it will work..."tickets" are $10 each for one chance to win 3 cactus blanks and 17 other blanks including mesquite, spalted hackberry, spalted pecan, and osage orange, no limit on how many tickets you can buy. The raffle will run for one week and will close at midnight, central time, on July 8, 2006. International participants are welcome as well.

All money must be received by the ending time to be elegible to win. Your payment should be sent by paypal to me at Curtis@TurnTex.com. Please indicate IAP Raffle AS WELL AS YOUR USERNAME in the message section. If you don't want to use Paypal, contact me directly for a mailing address. Once your payment is received I will make out a ticket or tickets in your name and at the ending of the raffle I will have my 5 month old daughter reach into a hat and draw the winner!

Once the raffle is over I will deduct the shipping cost and send the balance of the funds to Jeff. I will then post a complete acounting record here so everyone can see how much was raised and to show that everything was on the up and up!

Here is a picture of the actual blanks in the raffle. Obviously there are 2 clear and one black. Each blank is 11/16 x 11/16. Two of the blanks are 5 1/2 long and one is 5 1/4.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for the raffle.

Join in the fun, give back to IAP, and make some pens that few have ever made. What else can you ask for?!

IAPBlanks.jpg

Spalted Hackberry
Sp%20Hackberry.jpg

Cross cut Spalted Hackberry
Sp%20Hack%2090.jpg

Spalted Pecan
Sp%20Pecan.jpg

Cross cut Spalted Pecan
Sp%20Pecan%2090.jpg

Mesquite
HM%20pen.jpg

Osage Orange
Osage.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I meant to add this to the original post. I will be shipping these blanks USPS flat rate envelope and since there will be room in the package for 20 or so blanks I will go ahead and fill up the envelope with mesquite, spalted hackberry, spalted pecan, osage orange, and or algarita, your choice of quantity and species.

So basically you will get 3 exclusive prickly pear cactus blanks as well as 17 other blanks of your choosing for the list above!

angboy

Just a quick question Curtis- would the clear ones come out looking sort of 3-D like the top one of the ones you posted under show off recently looks like? Because on that one you used a clear blank and just painted tht tube black right? I really like that one and how you can see the depth to it, so am just wondering if whoever wins would be able to make one that showed the depth like that?

angboy

You know Curtis, I think that, in order for this raffle to be fair to everyone, you and your daughter should both have no involvement in the drawing process. So, being the nice person I am [:eek:)], I'll conduct the drawing for you- just send me the blanks and a list of who has how many entries each, and I'll be sure to put them all in a hat and draw out a winner! I may have to practice though, to get it right, so it may require multiple drawings. But to remain impartial, my name won't be in the hat! [:D][:D] Now my dad's name might find it's way into the hat a few times...

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Ric,

I have thought about it but the getting the skeletons is the hard part. Actually casting them is pretty easy. I am just not sure what to charge and if there would be any takers due to the labor it takes to get them ready to cut and cast. Now if you are interested in some pads that have not been cleaned and processed, I could certainly do that at a good price!

Daniel

I just had a pen ordered today but placed an order for Truestone blanks and pen kits [:(]
hate to miss out on this but may have to pass id some other money doesn't float buy.
I would be interested in skeletons and think you should figure your time involved times what you want to be paid say per hour. I just paid nine dollars a piece for truestone blanks, and have paid a lot more for others.
I'm sure you don't want it to become a full time adventure so let the price regulate the demand.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
OK everyone,

Here is what I have after the first day for a total of 18 tickets:

Butcher 3
Geo 1
JimGo 2
Tanner 3
WordsDeeds 1
Lwalden 5
JohnCrane 3

I am adding names to a spreadsheet as I receive paypal payments so if your name is not on here, it should be! Remember, it is helping to keep the lights on around here and you get a chance to turn something completely unique that your friends or customers will ooh and ahh over!!

elody21

These pens are amazing!!!! I will take 2 tickets!!!!!! Going out of town today, so I will send the paypal tomorrow!! Alice

wordsdeeds

Hey Curtis.
When I suggested selling the pads, I was thinking of unprocessed ones. I read how you do this and know asking for skeletons would be too much. There are several very good Mexican markets around here (Detroit has a large Hispanic community and a thriving Mexicantown area) and I could probably get some suitable ones there. But I thought I might persuade you to send some unprocessed pads "wholesale." What think?
Ric

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
As of this afternoon there have been 25 tickets sold for a total of $239.45 after Paypal fees. Not a bad start but we can do better! Dig deep and help keep the lights on here at IAP!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is the list of ticket purchasers as of lunch 7/5/06:

Butcher 3
Geo 1
JimGo 2
Tanner 3
WordsDeeds 1
Lwalden 5
JohnCrane 3
Jim15 2
Eastern47 2
Elody21 2
FireMedic4Christ 1
clowman 1
angboy 3

This represents 29 tickets for a total of $277.69 after Paypal fees. Time is running out so hurry and buy your chances! Remember, ticket sales end at Midnight on July 7. That is this Friday.

its_virgil

Could my lucky number be 222...two for two in two days[:D]

Curtis, I do trust you received my PayPal pymt for my entries. Thanks for doing this.

Guys and Gals...I know how difficult these blanks are to make....I'm now 0 for 4 in getting the great look that Curtis achieves. Believe Curtis when he tells us selling the blanks would not be profitable...very time consuming and so far no success for me.
Originally posted by angboy
<br />Do we know the winner yet?

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom