Caballero Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
As you know all Jr Gent Style kits including the Caballeros have black threads showing. We are introducing a version with the threads plated to match the kit i.e. Chrome will be Chrome threads, Gold Tn will be Gold Tn threads.

However we will still be able to provide kits with the Black Chrome threads found on the Current Kits - I am looking for your opinion as to whether we should offer both or drop the black threaded versions altogether.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

Smitty, I personally care less about the color of the plating than I do about the quality of the threads. The black chrome plated version is very smooth. And I don't mind the black color at all.

If you offer it in chrome or gold titanium, I'd want to make sure that the thread quality remains just as good. And that it doesn't flake. Thread quality can be adversely affected by improper plating.

-gary

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am always amused and intrigued when a design has been around "forever" and often copied, yet the "body" of penturners here are going to redesign it.

The Jr. Gent has had that black, since it was introduced. Berea has the baron, it also has the black. Ya suppose there MIGHT be a reason???

When you eliminate the black, you will sell a bunch!!!! Two years from now, we will probably know WHY they WERE black.

I wish you luck, but if it were me, I would be VERRRRYYYYYYY worried.

FWIW,
Ed

BTW, I make these comments only because you are in the Market Survey forum. Had it been in Smitty's, I would not have made these observations.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am always amused and intrigued when a design has been around "forever" and often copied, yet the "body" of penturners here are going to redesign it.

The Jr. Gent has had that black, since it was introduced. Berea has the baron, it also has the black. Ya suppose there MIGHT be a reason???

When you eliminate the black, you will sell a bunch!!!! Two years from now, we will probably know WHY they WERE black.

I wish you luck, but if it were me, I would be VERRRRYYYYYYY worried.

FWIW,
Ed

BTW, I make these comments only because you are in the Market Survey forum. Had it been in Smitty's, I would not have made these observations.
Ed I might be worried and probably would not have tried this with other platings if I were not using Gold Tn and Chrome both of which compare well with black Chrome on wear. Also when originally designed the inserts in the tubes were metal so there was metal on metal wear, now the tube female is plastic.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty, I personally care less about the color of the plating than I do about the quality of the threads. The black chrome plated version is very smooth. And I don't mind the black color at all.

If you offer it in chrome or gold titanium, I'd want to make sure that the thread quality remains just as good. And that it doesn't flake. Thread quality can be adversely affected by improper plating.

-gary
These are being made by the same manufacturer as the black chrome couplers.

Top Bottom