Ca question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

I'm getting ready to place another sizable order and will need to add CA to it. I've used Mercury for the last few years and wanted to know about Glu-Boost. I'm guessing it's similar in properties, but was curious on the uptick on people using it.
Is there a reason you love it vs. other brands? I'm not one to change once I find what works for me, but I'm also willing to expand and adapt if there's a reason to.
Thank you in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

IMHO glue Boost is an excellent finish. It's flexible and polishes easily. I wouldn't use it as a glue. I'm sure it could've used as such but it's expensive and regular CA does well for that.

IMHO glue Boost is an excellent finish. It's flexible and polishes easily. I wouldn't use it as a glue. I'm sure it could've used as such but it's expensive and regular CA does well for that.
Glu Boost is my go-to finish. Quick, easy and the results are excellent.

Does glue Boost smell as bad as CA when it gets heated up?

Penchant 4

Does not boil when compatible accelerator is used. Clear, flexible. The Ultra Thin is literally Ultra thin. Long shelf life. Second to no other CA.

I did a semi-review on Glu-Boost a while ago and was somewhat "Ho-Hum". I thought (and still do) that if you were familiar with another system that there would be a little learning curve. It seems to stay fluid a wee bit longer than others and the Glu-Boost accelerator is not as fast acting as, say, Mercury.
HOWEVER, since then I have become an advocate. I use the Mercury accelerator when I want a fast set (normally) and the Glu-Boost when I don't. I agree that Glu-Boost seems to polish quite well although this is a pretty subjective opinion. I use the thin as a first and maybe second coat and then switch to the "PRO" which is somewhat more viscous for my build layers.
One additional thought: there are things that are often unmentioned that make creating a CA finish better (or worse). One thing I love about the Glu-Boost product is the bottle. It seems to me to be rather well designed. It has a pin in the cap that keeps the tip clear. I do quite a few pens and one thing I dislike is having to stop and spend time clearing a tip when I'm ready to apply CA. The Glu-Boost bottle prevents this annoying delay. A good thing!
I recommend you give it a try.

JohnU

First off... I love the finish I get from GluBoost! I don't work for them, but I have demoed how to use it at Rockler and to others inquiring. After I began using it, Rick at GluBoost asked me to video my process, which he edited into a video for his YouTube library. I was honored but I use it because I believe in it. Here's a story of how I began using it and why.

I had a CA finish process I was happy with but Mark Dreyer asked me to try it with him after he and Rick at GluBoost began talking about introducing it to the pen making community. Yes, all of this began because of Mark Dreyer.... thank you Mark! I was open minded and gave it a shot. At first it was a trial because I was used to my process and there weren't any videos or experiences shared about applying it. With Marks help, and a little time playing around, it soon proved itself to be what we all hope for in a finish. I had little doubt since it had been being used on guitars for years prior, but the process wasn't what I was used to since you don't have to build up a thick layer and sand down half of it to get level and polish. It is a self leveling finish in a bottle that applies much thinner and holds up Very well. What it is that most CA brands aren't ... is a flexible finish. Some have said the accelerator is a little costly compared to other brands. The flip side to that is, you don't need mush. I apply it with the lathe on low so the blank so spinning, and give a short "second long" burst. The trick is hold the can 10" or so back so you get a wide spray area....not close up where you only hit part of the blank.

GluBoost does have a couple different products. They have CA finishes and CA adhesives.

The ones we use for finishing are the Orange and Blue Labels. They are made for being a finish. The blue is thicker and great for filling pours and voids and the orange is thinner and a great top coat to blue.

If you're looking for an adhesive, get the green and red bottle. The red bottle is very thin and works great for wicking in and hold. I use it in small cracks and sealing dry objects before the finish. It's also great for gluing carbon fiber to the tube prior to casting. A little bit goes a long way. The green adhesive is just a little thicker. I used it in my MPG demo on clear casting where I make an abalone shell piece pen blank.

I have used many brands of CA and other finishes over the years, and choose to use GluBoost for its exceptional. I don't often mix "fast" with "quality" but in this case, it is a bonus. I've never been able to apply a CA finish as fast as I can with GluBoost. I've even looked over some of my pens from the past, with other brands of CA finishes and found some of them with cracks because those brands were not flexible. Thankfully I was able to disassemble and refinish with GluBoost.

Sorry for the long post, in the end you will have to form your own opinion. I would suggest watching the YouTube "how to apply" videos and give it a try. You won't be disappointed .

Bope

I have tried several different brands of CA as a finish. I definitely had GluBoost in the mix because there seems to be a lot of hype around it. I watched all the videos I could find about applying a CA finish. In the end I didn't find anything significantly different with it other than the price. It is not a wonder product that is going to fix your CA finish. I am not saying it is a bad product but just one more in the sea of CA glues. They have great marketing and have gotten some more well known pen makers on board so you hear a lot about it. If you have used Mercury brand for a while and like it I wouldn't change.

Top Bottom