CA Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have been using CA for a finish for at least 10 years. I used Stickfast for a long time and started noticing cracks so about 3 years ago I switched to Mercury and that has been good. Last year I added GluBoost. I am stumped. I finished two Madrone burl blanks at the same time on two different lathes. 2 coats of thin #2) 3 cots of "1 and then 2 costs of #2. One finished nicely but the other doesn't seem to want to produce a final cure. It seems just a bit tacky. When I sand it doesn't dust -it kind of balls up. Both pens were finished 5 feet apart so it isn't humidity, heat etc. Any idea what is wrong - besides social distancing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wondering if it might be something in/on in the wood. Madrone isn't known as being particularly oily so that probably isn't the cause. Maybe the burl was "sealed" with something while still green to prevent cracking?
If it were mine (and I realize you didn't ask) I'd take off the finish, give it a decent bath in acetone and try again.

keithbyrd

Thanks guys - this is really weird. None of the blanks were sealed with anything - both identical - I only use activator occasionally - I find it usually leaves little bumps when I spray. I usually just do something else waiting for it to dry even when it is just a tiny quick spray. GluBoost is probably 1-1.5 years old - but it worked fine on one of the pens! I sanded back down and got back to where I was getting dust - the final pieces came of like rubbing an adhesive residue off. Will sand some more then try again!

Dehn0045

I use BSI insta-set spray accelerator (the pump spray bottle, not aerosol). This will give me bumps if I spray on uncured CA, so I spray 1 or two pumps, rub the blank and wait a few seconds prior to applying CA. I feel like this gives me a little faster cure without some of the downsides of using accelerator. I actually feel like it cures smoother than when I use no accelerator at all and just wait a long time. I usually apply the first coat without any accelerator because the moisture from the blank is enough to give a pretty fast cure. Just one idea to try. Note - I use only BSI thin CA, so cure time isn't a major concern for me, but I apply fairly thick coats using open cell foam and I'm super impatient :p

elyk864

I use the normal Stickfast Activator but I'll spray if from about 1.5-2 feet away as to get a light mist. Cures a bit slower so the CA doesn't bubble from heat. I'll wait about 1 min then apply the next coat.

keithbyrd

I will try some of your techniques!
Like I said - this is weird - I sanded it back and could watch the layers come off like adhesive residue when you take of a bandaid. Once I got that off it sanded normally -created dust etc. Prepared it and put 3 coats of #2 Glu boost -came out beautiful. I did use the Gluboost accellerator this time. I appreciate your thoughts guys!

Top Bottom