CA non stick solution?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmaxcy

I am making a coffee scoop and turned a tenon out of wood to use as a jam on the scoop end of the blank. I want to do a CA finish but am concerned my scoop will stick to the wood tenon if I get a bit sloppy on my application.

Is there anything I can put on the tenon to prohibit the scoop from glueing to it?

thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Maybe get a hard plastic spacer that you can modify to fit the piece. The only other I can think of would be to tap the blank itself and thread end of the coffee scoop to screw them together. Best of luck with whatever option you go with from what is posted.

magpens

@Jmaxcy

Be sure you test your proposed plastic material beforehand.

CA sticks to an awful lot of plastics ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

jttheclockman

Tape. Electrical tape or you could even use masking tape and then razor blade it off. I think you are overthinking it.

MRDucks2

Seal it by smearing a thin coat of 100% silicon sealant on it and let it dry. CA doesn't stick to silicon

monophoto

Thin polyethelene - like the thin bags you get when stuff comes back from the laundry. A zip-lock bag might work but I'm concerned that they are made from heavier gauge polyethelene.

Ace Hardware has some neat little poly bags that they provide for use when you buy hardware items from the little drawers in the back of the store - you could cut one apart to make a strip that you wrap around the tenon.

Or John's suggestion to wrap the tenon with electrical tape. You might also try thin packing tape, or even ordinary Scotch Magic tape - but test it first to see if CA will stick.

egnald

You could perhaps make a "finishing jam" by turning down some HDPE - the same stuff that is used to make the "non-stick" bushings. It probably wouldn't fit tight enough to use as a turning jam, but finishing should not require as tight of a fit. - Dave

penicillin

Regular plastic shipping tape that you use for packages. It is simple, easy, and it works.

Top Bottom