CA and Shellawax?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Been playing with various methods of applying CA for a good looking finish. I had two pieces of Jim Beam wood- oak I would guess for whiskey casks. CA finish came out fair but I wanted it to be better. I applied two additional coats of thin CA and lightly sanded with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Applied some Hutt Ultra Gloss and looked decent. I spotted my Shellawax in my finishing materials box. Applied three coats at high speed until the cloth became warm. Looked good...at least to me. Your experience and recommendations are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Was the Shellawax applied over the Hutt Ultra Gloss which was applied over CA?

Or was the Shellawax applied over CA only ?

FGarbrecht

Post a picture.
I often add and buff a coat of microcrystalline wax over CA. Don't know about Shellawax cause I don't use it.

Woodchipper

Should have been more specific- wood>CA>HUG>Shellawax. This might be overkill with all three. The SW bottle says it can be used for pens- two or three coats for anything that will be used a lot (my words). Wife saw the price and suggested I find a use for it. Thanks to all.
Edit- try to get a photo this evening.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Shellawax is temporary; it will eventually rub/wear off and the shine will only be as good as what is under it.

99% of the time, Wax looks great but the finish under it is so great that most people don't know that the wax has worn off. IF the finish under the wax is not that great, it will become evident in a short while. Wax/polish is only good for the long term if it is stored behind sealed glass containers.

Top Bottom