Byrd Tools Shelix Cutterhead for my Dewalt 735 planer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I bought one and with the collegial help of a couple of friends it is installed and works. I now have about 30 carbide cutterheads instead of three hss knives. Even with a coffee break and much random talking it took about two hours. Threading the new head with carbide cutters into the planer without damaging them was aided by four hands and four eyes.
Results are great with a smooth finish. Take less per pass and snipe is minimal. I'm very happy!

I bought mine for $400 at Klingspor as they are in stock!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

With your box building, i predict you'll like it. Have run probably 300 bf at very light passes--and not even thinking about rotating cutters.
earl

EricRN

I've been salivating over one of these. Can't justify the expense, though, until I wear out the two sets of knives that came with the planer. Not sure if they are still selling them this way, but I remember seeing that there were two options--one set of thin carbide cutters that you could install without removing each cutter, but that raised the minimum planing thickness on the planer; and then a set of full thickness carbide cutters that required you to remove and reinstall each cutter individually during the first installation, but that kept the minimum planing thickness the same. Which did you get?

mmayo

After quite a bit of discussion I opted for the easier, 1/8" smaller diameter head. I never hog out a lot of wood with each pass so a maximum cut of 1/16" is fine with me. The installation of the cutterheads is slightly tricky, harder than on a lathe tool so not removing them all and then reinstalling them sounded better. I'm not sure, but I think I only remove 1/128th"-1/64th" per pass as a general rule.

It works and the board after passing through the planer is smooth to the touch and exhibits very, very fine even ridges much smaller than my original three knife head. I seem to only pick figured wood and this new Shelix head is designed for figured wood. šŸ˜Š

socdad

Glad to hear the install wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be ... I ordered the OEM version of the SHELIX a week ago. It is the original diameter cutting circle as the original cutterhead in the DW735 so I will need to remove the inserts from the SHELIX to install.

mmayo

Glad to hear the install wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be ... I ordered the OEM version of the SHELIX a week ago. It is the original diameter cutting circle as the original cutterhead in the DW735 so I will need to remove the inserts from the SHELIX to install.
Watch the video and print the instructions. Pay attention to the washer on the pulley it goes under the pulley. Pounding out the original head and pounding in the new one is odd, but works. You'll be happy.

Read on the Byrd Tools website how to install the cutters, it is not intuitive. They are sharp, very sharp.

Top Bottom