Bushings - an idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred in NC

Recent postings about self-made bushings got me thinking. It was stated that bushings can be made in a wood lathe using corian, and aluminum (I would add brass).

To avoid gluing a tube to fit the mandrel, all a person needs is a Letter "D" size drill bit, .246", which is the same size as the mandrel.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Fred, I happen to have a Black and Decker 1/4" bit that is actually .24? (I forget what the last digit is) that I use to "clean the inside of the tubes after Barrel trimming. I tried the other day to drill a piece of wood with it and fit it over the mandrel, it was a perfect fit.

I'm guessing the tolerances for B&D drill bits are a bit on the loose side [:)]. Since I planed on makeing my bushings out of 1/2" pieces of corian, I'm not going to worry about the bit wandering while I drill, and the bit is easily sharpened.

So, what is all this rambling mean? Check the "cheap" 1/4" bits they may be a bit on the small side [:D]

Ryan

Fred in NC

Ryan, I have found undersized drill bits before. What I buy now is usually up to specs, size right on the money.

Eagle, it is definitely more accurate to turn the barrels to a measurement taken from the pen parts.

However, HOW do you keep a larger tube, like the cigar, from wobbling on the mandrel ? You still need some kind of bushing or spacer between the tube and the mandrel, right ? Or am I missing something ?

pipemaker

George, you are correct.

I made a whole series of bushings out of brass including step buhings.
In use, I wrap a single layer of masking tape around the bushings, turn with the skew until it just touches the tape, and then sand until the tape is removed. The resulting fit is near perfect and it saves a lot of wear on the bushings.

Mike

dubdrvrkev

I had planned on making tapered bushings for finishing that will be universal. That way you can just throw them on without worrying which is which.

JimGo

That's my plan too Kevin. A nice taper from about 1/2" down to 1/4" over a "reasonable" distance (TBD, but probably on the order of 1"). That should handle all but a few of the really big pens, and for those I can come up with something else. I also thought about drilling three pieces of 3/4" dowel and tapering them as appropraite. Very inexpensive, easily replaced, and the color won't be real dark when working with light color woods..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom