Bushing/tube app VERRRRRRRRRY slow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

Anyone having trouble with the app running very slow? Also keep getting "downloading PDFs" message. Am using iPhone 15.6
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That's an indication of an erratic Internet connection. When the app has a solid, stable Internet connection, you should only see the downloading message once, then when the download is finished, you will see a download completed message.

If the app loses its connection to the server, it will retry after a few seconds. If you get multiple download in progress messages, that means that the app is not able to communicate with the server reliably. It's usually a problem between your router and your Internet Service Provider.

If too many retries, the app does start slowing down. I'll look into that, but the root cause is simply a poor Internet connection.

When that happens, simply close the app & restart it. The app will pick up where it left off - once a file has been downloaded, the app doesn't have to download it again, so it will eventually finish downloading all files, even with an unstable Internet connection.

You might also try connecting to a different WiFi service or turning off WiFi and use cellular data -

The database has over 3,000 files - if the app has a good connection and can download them all without interruption, it takes 20-30 minutes to do a complete download. That only happens once after a new app version is installed or if you delete & re-install the app. Otherwise, it only has to download any new database updates which should only take a few seconds to a couple of minutes.

MPVic

That's an indication of an erratic Internet connection. When the app has a solid, stable Internet connection, you should only see the downloading message once, then when the download is finished, you will see a download completed message.

If the app loses its connection to the server, it will retry after a few seconds. If you get multiple download in progress messages, that means that the app is not able to communicate with the server reliably. It's usually a problem between your router and your Internet Service Provider.

If too many retries, the app does start slowing down. I'll look into that, but the root cause is simply a poor Internet connection.

When that happens, simply close the app & restart it. The app will pick up where it left off - once a file has been downloaded, the app doesn't have to download it again, so it will eventually finish downloading all files, even with an unstable Internet connection.

You might also try connecting to a different WiFi service or turning off WiFi and use cellular data -

The database has over 3,000 files - if the app has a good connection and can download them all without interruption, it takes 20-30 minutes to do a complete download. That only happens once after a new app version is installed or if you delete & re-install the app. Otherwise, it only has to download any new database updates which should only take a few seconds to a couple of minutes.
Thank you so very much! That confirms a suspicion I've had for several months now re: our online connections.

welterm

I have the same problem but am on wifi with a fiber connection. Not sure how that can be slow. But, I will wait for the download to finish and try again.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have fiber to my home also. It's not your in-house network that's the issue. It's your Internet Provider who feeds the fiber. My provider is AT&T - most of the time it's very good, but sometimes the service to my router just isn't stable.

I deliberately delete & reinstall the app quite often to test this issue. Every once in a while, the app simply cannot maintain a stable connection, even with a fiber backbone. It's all in the data streams being pumped onto the fiber. It's definitely better than copper, but it is not immune from connection issues.

welterm

I have fiber to my home also. It's not your in-house network that's the issue. It's your Internet Provider who feeds the fiber. My provider is AT&T - most of the time it's very good, but sometimes the service to my router just isn't stable.

I deliberately delete & reinstall the app quite often to test this issue. Every once in a while, the app simply cannot maintain a stable connection, even with a fiber backbone. It's all in the data streams being pumped onto the fiber. It's definitely better than copper, but it is not immune from connection issues.
At the same time, however, I'm moving 25-100 GB files with no issues. (Not exactly at the same time, but the point is that if I can move files that large with no decrease in the usual time, how hard is to update an app?)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
At the same time, however, I'm moving 25-100 GB files with no issues. (Not exactly at the same time, but the point is that if I can move files that large with no decrease in the usual time, how hard is to update an app?)
The IAP database is on an ftp server. FTP access is more particular about holding a constant connection while it's transferring a file than other protocols.

Sorry, but I just don't have the time or desire to do a major rewrite of the file transfer mechanism - I'm just a volunteer here & do what I can when I can.

I will look into the issue of the app slowing down when it has to do many retries in a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom