Bushing organization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott grove

I just obtain a massive collection of pen bushings, most labels PK (pen state?), They are currently in a large plastic bin with those little pullout drawers. This seems like a waste of space, and I don't have the wall space. Any suggestions on how to store and label them? by size, name, or course cross reference the names is another issue but don't get me started.
help
Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

I have a similar method to what Michele (Hippie3180) posted - Small stackable units with pull out drawers - I have 3 of these units - each unit has 12 drawers (total of 36 drawers). Each drawer has a partition, which basically creates two compartments in each drawer (total of 72 compartments. I label the drawers with a number 1-36, and the front compartment is "a" and the rear compartment is "b". I keep bushings in small labeled ziplock bags. I write the bushing drawer/compartment on the bag, so I know which drawer to return it to when I am finished using those bushings.

Also, on each pen kit instruction page, along the top I write which drawer the bushings are kept in (e.g. "17B"). The system works perfectly. As I use up the last of a pen kit I no longer plan to purchase, I put the Ziplock bag of the bushings for that kit in a junk drawer - I can retrieve them if I ever need them again. Doing this frees up the drawer/compartment for new kits I purchase.

walshjp17

I use the Harbor Fright (I know, there's a missing e;)) small storage boxes with even smaller boxes inside ==> https://www.harborfreight.com/24-container-storage-box-90243.html?_br_psugg_q=storage+container. Each box holds 25 bushing sets. I use a label maker to affix the name of the kit(s) the bushings fit and organize them alphabetically in the box(es). So far I have six boxes full 🙄 with several more set in plastic bags awaiting a trip to HF. What I really need to do is reduce the number of kits I am willing to make to a precious few and offload all the spare bushings and kits. Film at 11.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

I store my bushings inside little plastic jars that fit neatly inside plastic boxes. The jars are 1.5 inches in diameter and are 2 inches tall. The box is 6.50 x 5.00 x 2.25 Inches and holds 12 jars. They were relatively inexpensive at only $6 per box from our local Walmart store. I found them in the arts & crafts / bead storage area of the store.

I keep a new, unused, set in the bottom of each bottle along with a set that gets used. The new set is used both as a reference for measuring as well as for a backup set when I decide the "work in process" set has worn down and needs to be replaced.

As you can see from the photos, I also color code my pen kit storage based on the type of kit it is, Parker Twist, Rollerball, Cross, Themed, Sierra, etc. It really helps to find the bushings for a particular kit rather quickly. It also helps that I keep the most frequently used bushings in the top box. I carry the color coding scheme through to the labels on my kit storage drawers and the 3-ring binder I use to organize the kit instructions and my notes.

In addition, I make small nicks in the bottom (the end that goes into the tube) of the bushings according to their order of use. In my scheme, the #1 bushing is for the tip/nib with the highest number (usually #4) for the cap/finial/cabochon end.

I took a few pictures to help give you an idea of what I am talking about. (Click on them to Zoom-In)

Dave

IMG_4158.JPG IMG_4157.JPG IMG_4159.JPG

IMG_4159 Cropped.jpg

jttheclockman

There are plenty of threads on this topic so maybe do a search and you will see a whole bunch of clever ideas

cl1237

I use the Harbor Fright (I know, there's a missing e;)) small storage boxes with even smaller boxes inside ==> https://www.harborfreight.com/24-container-storage-box-90243.html?_br_psugg_q=storage+container. Each box holds 25 bushing sets. I use a label maker to affix the name of the kit(s) the bushings fit and organize them alphabetically in the box(es). So far I have six boxes full 🙄 with several more set in plastic bags awaiting a trip to HF. What I really need to do is reduce the number of kits I am willing to make to a precious few and offload all the spare bushings and kits. Film at 11.
I second this idea. Perfect sized boxes for bushings and you don't run the risk of mixing all of your bushings up if you accidentally knock the container over

d_bondi

I second this idea. Perfect sized boxes for bushings and you don't run the risk of mixing all of your bushings up if you accidentally knock the container over

Three 👍 Up. I also use this method. Takes up no wall space, each small box is labeled, infinitely expandable. I only have two boxes full, which makes me a rank amateur, but my collection is growing. I have made an index for each box in an Excel spreadsheet, and when printed, each page folded in half fits perfectly in the top of the box so I can see what is in each one before grabbing it.

Scott grove

perfect!, this works as I can then store the box even sideways on a self. Many thanks

Scott grove

Greetings from Nebraska.

I store my bushings inside little plastic jars that fit neatly inside plastic boxes. The jars are 1.5 inches in diameter and are 2 inches tall. The box is 6.50 x 5.00 x 2.25 Inches and holds 12 jars. They were relatively inexpensive at only $6 per box from our local Walmart store. I found them in the arts & crafts / bead storage area of the store.

I keep a new, unused, set in the bottom of each bottle along with a set that gets used. The new set is used both as a reference for measuring as well as for a backup set when I decide the "work in process" set has worn down and needs to be replaced.

As you can see from the photos, I also color code my pen kit storage based on the type of kit it is, Parker Twist, Rollerball, Cross, Themed, Sierra, etc. It really helps to find the bushings for a particular kit rather quickly. It also helps that I keep the most frequently used bushings in the top box. I carry the color coding scheme through to the labels on my kit storage drawers and the 3-ring binder I use to organize the kit instructions and my notes.

In addition, I make small nicks in the bottom (the end that goes into the tube) of the bushings according to their order of use. In my scheme, the #1 bushing is for the tip/nib with the highest number (usually #4) for the cap/finial/cabochon end.

I took a few pictures to help give you an idea of what I am talking about. (Click on them to Zoom-In)

Dave

View attachment 367490 View attachment 367489 View attachment 367492

View attachment 367491
great idea with the notching. thanks

walshjp17

Greetings from Nebraska.

View attachment 367491
Dave, The notch/nick idea is absolutely brilliant. I will be copying this as well as studded bushing holder for WIP.

egnald

Dave, The notch/nick idea is absolutely brilliant. I will be copying this as well as studded bushing holder for WIP.
I used a thin Dremel metal cutting wheel to make the little slots.

The studs in my WIP holder are 1/4" x 7/8" Nickel Shelf Pins that I bought in our local Menards store ($3 for a bag of 12). I had to sand a bur off the end of a couple of them to get them to fit. I think they might have been slightly deformed on the end when they were sheared off at the factory. They work great for holding the HDPE cone shaped finishing bushings that I use too.

- Dave

d_bondi

Greetings from Nebraska.

Dave

SOOO many good ideas in this post Dave, thanks!!

goldendj

Here's another idea for you. These come in various sizes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CL4CJ2SN/

View attachment 367514
I use these small boxes, 1.7x1.7x0.8, labeled and alphabetized in a shoebox-size bin.
20240205_220357.jpg
Perfect size for most bushings without wasted space (I tried the Bushing Buddy but that used 10x the space per set). The small blue trays from Dollar Tree are the exact right size to fit 3 rows of 11, edge up, and two trays stack in the bin.

sorcerertd

For what it's worth, I really don't care much for using bushings for actual sizing. I use them to stabilize the work until it is somewhere near proper size, measured with calipers, then ditch the bushings and just TBC (put the brass tube right on the centers) to turn down to final size. For this, I really only need a few bushings of each tube size rather than one for each piece of pen hardware. It's so much easier to not have to track all the different bushings.

Top Bottom