Bushing and Tube App

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Just in case you didn't see it on the front page messages...

IAP's Bushings and Tubes Reference app for IOS has been updated. Find it in the APPLE STORE

We are working on getting the Android app updated as well. Thanks, @crokett and @jtwebb !!

I'd have to mention the extraordinary efforts of @Edgar and @Wayne in getting the app and underlying data freshened. Those two guys have worked constantly for the last few weeks tweaking the app and scrubbing the data.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I do appreciate the work it takes to keep the app data up to date. Thanks to all who work behind the scenes to keep info current and flowing. I use the app and use it quite often.

I hope "scrubbing the data" does not mean deleting data about discontinued or no longer available pen kits. Once that data is gone it will be gone forever. There is no other place this information is available...at least as far as I know.

Keep up the good work to keep this place the best of its kind.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
No worries, Don. We keep all discontinued kits & instructions and even manage to find a few old instructions floating around in the ether from time to time and add those as well.

We are doing our best to improve consistency in kit names across suppliers & adding kits & instructions as fast as we can.

We ask everyone to please let us know if you see any errors, inconsistencies, or omissions of kits or instructions. We want to correct every mistake we can, even the smallest spelling error.

We are also adding more "project kits". Letter openers & magnifiers are coming soon.

Scotty

Thanks to all involved in this. Question: I've had the app a long time. Do I need to do something or does it automatically update on my phone? I don't know how these things work.

DK61

Thanks for updating the App. although i have had issues on my iPhone with it. i do not see any instructions or photos. checked the settings as per the instructions and the settings are correct. Dont think i have missed anything. Use the app all the time when i need to reference something while turning a pen. cannot figure out what is wrong or if there is a setting somewhere i missed. anyone have any ideas or experiencing similar issues on an iPhone? Thanks.

satchm0h

I just installed the app for the first time. There are some definite performance issues with the search. I'm a professional software architect and would be happy to review the code and/or contribute if that would be helpful. DM me if you'd like a new set of eyes.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks to all involved in this. Question: I've had the app a long time. Do I need to do something or does it automatically update on my phone? I don't know how these things work.
When a new version of the app is released, you need to go to the Apple App Store to update the app. However, it will automatically download any new database updates from the IAP server whenever they become available. Every time you close and restart the app, it will automatically check for database updates shortly after the app starts. If you enable auto updates (the default mode), it will also check for updates periodically (default is daily).

The latter feature is for folks who rarely shut the app down and just let it go into background mode while using other apps.

When a new database update is downloaded, you do need to close and restart the app to install the updates. The new version displays alert notifications to let you know when it is downloading an update and when it completes the update. When you get the "Database Update Available" message, you can close, then restart the app and those new updates will be at your fingertips.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for updating the App. although i have had issues on my iPhone with it. i do not see any instructions or photos. checked the settings as per the instructions and the settings are correct. Dont think i have missed anything. Use the app all the time when i need to reference something while turning a pen. cannot figure out what is wrong or if there is a setting somewhere i missed. anyone have any ideas or experiencing similar issues on an iPhone? Thanks.
When the app is installed, it has a set of kit data embedded in the app. The instruction files and photos are not included in the app distribution to make the app download & installation process as fast as possible. The app will attempt to communicate with the IAP server and download the instruction and photo files. If you aren't seeing any, your phone is not connecting with the IAP server. There could be a number of reasons. I'll send you a pm and try to help you resolve your issues.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I just installed the app for the first time. There are some definite performance issues with the search. I'm a professional software architect and would be happy to review the code and/or contribute if that would be helpful. DM me if you'd like a new set of eyes.
Please explain briefly what you mean by performance issues with the search. Is it not doing what you think it should or is it not as responsive as you expect?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Ver 1.09 is available for download from the Apple App Store. This version has two updates:
1. Fixed an issue where the app did not always complete a database download if it lost connection with the IAP server in the process. It should now continue to retry until it can complete the download.
2. Improved the way photos are presented on iPhones. The issue only affected iPhones in portrait mode.

satchm0h

Please explain briefly what you mean by performance issues with the search. Is it not doing what you think it should or is it not as responsive as you expect?
When typing the display does not keep up with my fingers. In fact it often hangs for a second or two. Here is a screenshot of me trying to type "Diamond Knurl"

5338D22C-FC8E-4A23-B231-C8BE132550AE.png

iPhone 13 Pro Max
iOS 15.5

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
When typing the display does not keep up with my fingers. In fact it often hangs for a second or two. Here is a screenshot of me trying to type "Diamond Knurl"

Thanks - that is not normal behavior at all. I'm using a 13 Pro Max as well and don't have that issue.

A few questions: Have you updated to the latest v1.09 that was released today? Has the app finished downloading the database files from the server? The app should be fully responsive even while files are being downloaded in the background, but it's possible that some interference might occur if the app is doing a lot of retries.

Other suggestions would be to reboot the phone. If that doesn't help, try closing most or all other apps.

If those steps don't help, delete the app, reboot the phone, and reinstall the app.

satchm0h

Thanks - that is not normal behavior at all. I'm using a 13 Pro Max as well and don't have that issue.

A few questions: Have you updated to the latest v1.09 that was released today? Has the app finished downloading the database files from the server? The app should be fully responsive even while files are being downloaded in the background, but it's possible that some interference might occur if the app is doing a lot of retries.

Other suggestions would be to reboot the phone. If that doesn't help, try closing most or all other apps.

If those steps don't help, delete the app, reboot the phone, and reinstall the app.
Seems to be all good today. I think it may have had to be the download happening in parallel.

BTW, awesome resource!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Seems to be all good today. I think it may have had to be the download happening in parallel.

BTW, awesome resource!
Good to hear, and thanks. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for improvement.

jrista

Any word on the android version of the app? I have been using it for a while, and one thing about the current version...the brand of store selling the item is not always clear. Some I can decipher, like WCFT for Woodcraft, but there are a lot of other monikers I just don't understand. Would be real nice if the app had a way to display the full name of the company selling the item.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Any word on the android version of the app? I have been using it for a while, and one thing about the current version...the brand of store selling the item is not always clear. Some I can decipher, like WCFT for Woodcraft, but there are a lot of other monikers I just don't understand. Would be real nice if the app had a way to display the full name of the company selling the item.
I can't give you an eta on the Android version just yet, but there are 2 ways to get the info you want:
1) tap on the info icon next to the abbreviation. It will show some info about the kit as well as the full name of the supplier
2) download the app User Guide from our library - it contains a list of supplier names & abbreviations

Top Bottom