Burls burls everywhere but not a ....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghouse

Well looking out my back window I noticed a tree with burls all over it. Well I walked back there and &*)&*()& it is sweet gum. :(

So I get a call from a friend of mine, and she has a "red" tree the does not smell she wants me to pick up. After racking my brain all day, I get out there only to find it is an Osage Orange. I notices some funny lines in it and as it was night I could not tell what it was. So I cut some up (small enough so I could barely lift them) and loaded my truck. Much to my surprize when I get home I find the tree is loaded with burl. Enough to make the trunk look curley!

I will get pictures up tonight. Now I just have to get the rest of the tree.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Seal the OO well...nice wood but takes forever to dry...and cracks/checks easily when not treated right.

Big pieces will still check, as I well know from the hunks in my garage. And they were Anchorsealed immediately on cutting. Yes, OO takes a long time to dry. BTW, burled OO could be something real special.

low_48

I have found that osage burls don't go very deep into the trunk. I hope you have better luck than I have, but didn't get much yield from two different trees that were very promising with the bark on. I have also found that the sap wood shrinks about 20 times more than the heart. If you cut some blanks while it is still wet, make sure to not have sapwood on only one side. I've had blanks curve about 1" when the sapwood pulled it while drying. Crazy stuff!!!

Doghouse

2006322135447_woodpile.jpg
<br />
A-E - are the Osage. You can see the "burl" spikes all the way to the center, almost in rows.
F-I - Red Maple
J-N - Sycamore - snagged from the burn pile
M - I don't know what this wood is, but it is snow white on the inside and smells like soap when cut.

Dario

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Nice haul indeed. Drool

Billy,

Next time you visit San Antonio, I better give you a "bucket" to drool in before you get in the garage and the back patio LOL [:D][}:)]

I think I have twice as much stash now than the last time you came over. [;)][:D]

low_48

Doghouse,
Are you sure that's not mulberry? It's a little tough to see, but usually on stock that size you will see a redish star split in the center and the flaky bark on osage. Looks like a BIG bunch of blanks though. Should be beautiful.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by low_48
<br />Doghouse,
Are you sure that's not mulberry? It's a little tough to see, but usually on stock that size you will see a redish star split in the center and the flaky bark on osage. Looks like a BIG bunch of blanks though. Should be beautiful.
Actually I did some research and Osage Orange is in the mulberry family. I have some of this wood from the same tree as doghouse, and I can say definitively that this is, in fact, osage orange. I found a site with bark pictures, and they are a perfect match to what we have. I can also attest that this stuff is HEAVY!! I turned a small bowl out of it yesterday. It turns nice while it's wet, but I hate to see what it'll be like when it's dry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom