Burl Assortments from Laos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

Update: Both Lots have been Spoken For - I Thank You Both Very Much! - Dave

I have a couple of nice sets of burl blanks from Laos that I am offering for sale. I very rarely sell blanks as I am what some on the forum would call a wood collector, but these are a nice assortment of various kinds of burls that I would like to share with my fellow pen turners.

I acquired these over the past couple of years from Souphong Manikhong who spends about 5 or 6 months each year at home in Laos with his wife and children (who live in Laos) and the rest of the time in Sacramento, CA where he and his brothers operate a studio/workshop making and selling sculptures made from the the exotic wood he brings here from Laos. The blanks are mainly cutoffs or odds and ends left over from the wood sculpting activities.

I have 2 lots to share with 11 blanks in each lot each from a burl that came from Laos. If you are interested, I am asking $80 per lot plus $9 to cover shipping. I will be shipping USPS Priority Mail, so only sales to those with shipping addresses in the USA - sorry. Pictures of the blanks follow with the first 4 photos showing each of the 4 sides of the dry blanks followed by 4 photos photos of them sprayed with denatured alcohol to better show the color variations. Most of the blanks measure just under 3/4-inch square (0.73 inches) by 5-inches long using my calipers and the names of the species are on the labels in the picture.

You may notice that there is little change in the appearance of many of them as my supplier often sprays them with a coat of Shellac for essentially the same reason that most of us spray dry blanks with denatured alcohol for photos - so that they appear more like they should after a finish is applied. I would recommend that anyone planning to stabilize them that they be run across a belt sander to remove the shellac beforehand. (I don't have any idea how Cactus Juice would interact with shellac). That being said, I have successfully turned a lot of these species without being stabilized.

Thanks for looking. If you are interested in either of these sets, please make a request by replying to this thread and I will send a PM to you so we can exchange the necessary PayPal details.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Dave

Each side shown, rotated 1/4 turn between pictures (those with shellac are the shiny ones)
(Click on thumbnails for larger view)
IMG_2225 Cropped.jpg IMG_2226 Cropped.jpg IMG_2227 Cropped.jpg IMG_2228 Cropped.jpg

Each side shown misted with denatured alcohol, rotated 1/4 turn between pictures
(Click on thumbnails for larger view)

IMG_2229 Cropped.jpg IMG_2230 Cropped.jpg IMG_2231 Cropped.jpg IMG_2232 Cropped.jpg

Here is a YouTube story that ran about Souphong on a news show in Sacramento in 2006:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom