Building On The Basics Class at Lee Valley

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Yesterday I gave my first pen class of Building on the Basics at the Lee Valley store in Burlington Ontario. They sold out the class and had an extra on the waiting list so we were a class of seven students.

I was delighted that the class took the challenge of working hard all day (8hours) in turning two pens. One pen was to focus on the detail and quality they should pay attention to on turning and finishing a pen while the second pen was about creating their own unique pen designs.

For our first pen we worked on a capped El Grande with an acrylic pen body in the first half of the class. For all of the class they had never tried an acrylic before so it was a good opportunity to work with the students to show them how to get a well turned pen body out of a new material for them. Many of the students were novices with some who had some experience for more than a few years. I had to say from one student who had only ever turned one pen to the others with experience it was a positive class through out.

In the later part of the class we focused on making a custom pen not constrained by hardware, so I selected slim lines for the class and let them create their own designs. I was totally impressed by the out come of that exercise. All of the turners made excellent slim lines of one of kind, no centre bands and in some cases no clips. The materials for the second pen were stabilized maple burls, also new for all of the class.

The class used the Ablaron- Micromesh and polishing methods I like to use, it all worked out great.

In the last part of the class I used a pin chuck and turned a solid end Junior Gentlemen’s pen, it was on a Fanger pin chuck.

One of our own here on IAP was in the class (Dale, aka; Murphy), these are her two pens.

200661115147_IMG_5514.jpg

200661115039_IMG_5517.jpg

In the end the class was a full hard day, I learnt some new details myself about pen making and I enjoyed the students I had in my class. A totally positive experience.

Some other class shots..

200661115424_IMG_5512.jpg

200661115357_IMG_5504.jpg

200661115335_IMG_5511.jpg

200661115231_IMG_5521.jpg

20066111536_IMG_5518.jpg

Thanks to Lee Valley and Sylvester at the store for taking great care of our class with super support!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Murphy

My mother always told me if I let someone take a compromising picture of me it would end up on the internet![:I]
Thanks Jim, it was great to finally meet you. The class was amazing and the handouts far exceeded what anyone would expect.
So, when are we doing advanced 3?[:D]

mrcook4570

It looks like your students did very well. Given the conditions, your photographs are excellent. I'm sure the lighting there was not conducive to taking close-ups of small objects, so how did you do that?

Originally posted by Murphy
<br />My mother always told me if I let someone take a compromising picture of me it would end up on the internet![:I]
Thanks Jim, it was great to finally meet you. The class was amazing and the handouts far exceeded what anyone would expect.
So, when are we doing advanced 3?[:D]

Dale,

It was great to finally meet you as well, it was a fun class and I would be pleased to offer it again...!

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />It looks like your students did very well. Given the conditions, your photographs are excellent. I'm sure the lighting there was not conducive to taking close-ups of small objects, so how did you do that?

Thanks Stan,

They all turned two pens each, all of them were of very good quality as well.

I set my camera to Macro and shot it with the flash off....holding my breath!

[:D][:D][:D]

wood-of-1kind

Jim,
let me know if you decide to do a class at the Pine Valley/Steeles store. I will be your first registered student and despite what they say about my bad classroom behaviour I promise to be 'good'[}:)]

-Peter-

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />Jim,
let me know if you decide to do a class at the Pine Valley/Steeles store. I will be your first registered student and despite what they say about my bad classroom behaviour I promise to be 'good'[}:)]

-Peter-

I'll let you know Pete...I'm sure I'll learn from you as well..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom