Bugs on my windshield

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

With spring comes the bugs...lots of them. While I know they hate ending on my windshield, I don't care for their tar being there either.

Anyone knows a good way to prevent them from sticking on my windshield? It will really help reduce the stress while driving long distance.

I tried Rain-X hoping it will help but no luck.

Thanks!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

You could try putting an old bed sheet or towel over the windshield. Of course, operation of the vehicle with such in place is not recommended!

(sorry, had to do it!)

tipusnr

They used to sell deflectors that mounted on top of the grill to push air and bugs over the top of the vehicle. A lot of semi's and larger cars used to use them. Haven't noticed if they are still around or not and don't know how effective they are. You might call a local trucking firm and ask (a truck stop may know as well).

Dario

Tom, You guys are bad! LOL [}:)] Someone posted here too before...just open your mouth and have an instant high protein "snack" [:D]

Bill, that is a good idea but something I would rather not do. Really don't like how it looks with the deflector. I am looking more of a product that I can apply to the windshield. At least to make the clean up faster. Even winshield washers tend to just smear the tar all over!!!

JimGo

Dario,
Have you looked at the products for getting the bugs off the windshield once they're there, rather than prevening them from sticking? Something that works really well is detailing clay - I couldn't believe the difference in my windshield when I used it there. The clay is designed to "grab" the stuff that's embedded in the windshield and/or paint, thereby giving you a smoother finish. Should work to get the last of the bug "tar" off the windshield after you've hit it with the windshield washers and a squeegie from the gas station.

woodwish

I put one of those goofy plastic bug deflectors on my pick-up, it was a gift from an in-law that I would've nver asked for. Thought I would install it when I went to see them (about 450 miles) then take it back off, but much to my surprise they really do work! Not sure what it does for gas milage or anything else, but it does keep the bugs off for the most part. [8D]

vick

http://www.skygeek.com/61002.html
You could try this. I have considered actually getting it to see about using it on resin pens to avoid finger tips.
Note this place also has very good prices on a lot of plastic polishes.

Nolan

Dario,

I think the best is the clay followed by a wax(automotive). The cleaning of the window with the dettail clay cleans and polishes the window and the wax then fills in the tiny pits in the window and allows the surface to be smoother so the bugs dont adhear as well. IMO

As far as Rejex from Vick's post I can also tell you from my use on airplane that it does work ok with exhaust stains on my airplane but havent ever tied it on car windows.
Nolan

airrat

I think Smoky is on to something. Get a big roll of saran wrap from your local warehouse store. Install it on your passenger side and when you get a bug in front of you turn a crank on your side to move it to a clean spot. [:D] Just like those cameras used on race cars.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />How about saran wrap???????? Put a layer on your windshield and when it gets covered with bugs, tear it off and put more on.

Why stop at the winshield, BUY saran wrap in BULK and do the entire car?

-Peter-[:p]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />
Originally posted by arioux
<br />Hi,
TSW, bugs will just slip on it![:D]

Lou, can I add this as an additional feature as to why they should purchase more TSW from me?[:D][?]

-Peter-
I can't see any reason why not...just put a disclaimer that says "No bugs were killed in the posting of this suggestion." [8D]

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Dario
<br />With spring comes the bugs...lots of them. While I know they hate ending on my windshield, I don't care for their tar being there either.

Anyone knows a good way to prevent them from sticking on my windshield? It will really help reduce the stress while driving long distance.

Thanks!!!

This stuff is supposed to be pretty good.

http://pakshak.com/trade-secret.html

http://www.topoftheline.com/toltradcarwa.html

Best of luck with the bug issue.

DWK5150

Originally posted by timdaleiden
<br />
Originally posted by Dario
<br />With spring comes the bugs...lots of them. While I know they hate ending on my windshield, I don't care for their tar being there either.

Thanks!!!

This stuff is supposed to be pretty good.

http://pakshak.com/trade-secret.html

http://www.topoftheline.com/toltradcarwa.html

Best of luck with the bug issue.

I buy lots of my stuff from top of the line detail. Good stuff.

Look here you will find more info then you will probably ever need.
http://detailcity.org/

fuzzydog

I have used insulator wax on a 5th wheel trailer, boat (salt water), and truck. I only put it on the boat once and the shine remained for years. When I hit the front of the 5th wheel trailer with a garden hose the bug juice just hosed off. I don't know if it would work on a windshield but I can't see why not. Insulators used to be made of glass. It's a bit spendy but worth a try.

http://www.ocdgarage.com/co845inwax.html

JimQ

I never found a way of keeping them off while driving semi's for 15 years, but I found an easy way to get them off. In Florida they have a bug called a Lovebug. You can use strong soap and still smear them around. An old man in the truck stop watched me for a while and came up shaking a bottle of Coke with his finger over the top. He let go with a spray that covered the windshield and just about emptied the bottle. He told me to wait a couple of minutes and wash it off. It cleaned them bugs off slicker than..............

Found it works on moths in California too.

JimQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom