Buffing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

From what I read, the ideal buffing speed is 1750 rpm, don't know why, that is the speed of most all buffing machines. If your grinder runs at 3400 rpm, just don't apply as much pressure while buffing.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />From what I read, the ideal buffing speed is 1750 rpm, don't know why, that is the speed of most all buffing machines. If your grinder runs at 3400 rpm, just don't apply as much pressure while buffing.
It's to get the surface speed down. This can also be accomplished by using a smaller buffing wheel, e.g. a 4" wheel on a 3450 motor has the same surface speed as an 8" wheel on a 1725 motor. A 4" wheel will hold less compound than an 8" wheel. Also access may be restricted. But it's worth considering, methinks. I bought some 4" wheels, have a 3450 buffer bought from HF, but have never hooked them up - been meaning to make a quick-change adapter. One of these days!

PenWorks

Originally posted by scubaman It's to get the surface speed down. This can also be accomplished by using a smaller buffing wheel, e.g. a 4" wheel on a 3450 motor has the same surface speed as an 8" wheel on a 1725 motor.

I knew there was a logical solution [:)] Way to go Spock,
My math is as good as my spelling [:D]

wood-of-1kind

Mike, buffing wheels(good)and using the proper compounds(tripoli,white diamond, carnuaba)will rid of paper towel marks from personal experience.

IMHO a 5" to 6" buffing wheel run a 1800 RPM is the 'optimal' speed/performace. Ideally you want to run the wheels at a cool speed and yet apply the compound effectively on the pen blank. If the wheels run too hot (high RPM's like 3400)the compound will smear the work and possibly bite into the blanks and may ultimately remove more of the blank than was intented. The wheels are meant to apply the compound(s) and remove the finer scratch marks that are often left behind by sanding.

Running at high speeds such as 3400 and up and using a 6" wheel creates what I refer to as the helicopter effect. Remember that speed kills, especially if you exert too strong a force from the spinning wheels to your wood blank. Slow down your buff speed and minimize damage. Put a shine on your pens and not a frown of disappointent on your face by reducing your lathe's RPM. Stay within the speed limit (&lt;1800)and enjoy your 'pen shine'.
-Peter-
[:)]

some members here sell buffing mandrels - I have one and have been very pleased.

Now, an aside...
What type of wheels do you guys use? I am currently using one Black & Decker medium and two mediums (of another brand) from Lowe's. I am by far more pleased with the Black & Decker than the other wheels.

Bill

EDITED becuz eye caint speel

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by BillATsetelDOTcom
<br />some members here sell buffing mandrels - I have one and have been very pleased.

Thanks for the compliment Bill. Nice to hear that you are enjoying the performance of the BUFFING SHAFT.
-Peter-[:)]

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom