Buffing wheels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGABEL

Is anyone using buffing wheels from the big box stores? Just wondering if they work well as they are typically much more economical than the buffing systems sold by the pen supply vendors.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Is anyone using buffing wheels from the big box stores? Just wondering if they work well as they are typically much more economical than the buffing systems sold by the pen supply vendors.
I'm curious about the feedback on this. 🤔

carlmorrell

I have two sets. One is the PSI mandrel. I like that and use it whenever I feel I need that extra pop. But I also have two wheels for the bench grinder and use them for polishing aluminum and got them on Amazon. If I ever have to replace the PSI buffs, I'll just go with ebay/amazon.

egnald

I started out with a PSI Acrylic Pen Buffing System which has two, 4-inch buffing wheels. One is a cotton wheel and the other is a flanel wheel along with a stick of their "blue" buffing compound. It worked as described; however, I am lazy by nature and didn't like fussing around with my headstock and tailstock to set it up, so....

I bought a RIKON model 81-608, 8-inch Low Speed Buffer when they went on sale. It has a 1/2 HP motor with a no load speed of 1750 RPM and two long 5/8 inch arbor shafts and a couple of 8-inch wheels.

Considering that it was 1750 RPM and that the PSI system recommended 1200 to 1700 RPM I figured I would be pretty close if I used 4-inch wheels. Then, I found inexpensive 6-inch buffing wheels at our Menards store and thought I would give them a try. For the first wheel I use a Spiral Sewn wheel (Firm) that is a little more rigid than the Loose Sewn (Soft) that I use as the second wheel. They were on close out so I bought a few spares of each.

The 6-inch wheels had a 1-inch hole in them so I used my lathe to turn a 1-inch to 5/8-inch adapter and a couple of large washers to mount them to the buffer's arbors. The wheels are only 3/4-inch thick so I thought about doubling them up to give me a wider surface to buff against, but so far it hasn't seemed necessary.

Overall, I'm pleased with the buffer and the big box store buffing wheels. (I still use the PSI "blue" buffing bar on the first wheel though). - Dave

Here is my setup:
IMG_2955 Cropped.jpg

jrista

I have bought a number of buffing wheels from Amazon, and they work fine. Flannel and cotton. I also have some sewn muslin wheels from the local Woodcraft.

Todd in PA

I bookmarked this thread a long time ago. Never ordered caswell, but will when I am ready to upgrade.

TDahl

I have purchased both my polish bars and wheels from Caswell. They provide a great deal of information on which wheel to use with each polish.

monophoto

I purchased an unmounted three-wheel set from Harbor Freight - that's a big box store of a sort. Then I made threaded wooden mandrels for each wheel that screw onto the headstock spindle of my lathe. I use brown compound from Harbor Freight, white compound from Penn State, and a carnauba wax stick that I bought at a local woodworking show/sale.

It all works for me.

dogcatcher

A copy and paste from an old thread.

This is about buffing acrylics or resin blanks. But a great read about buffing.
https://www.penturners.org/threads/buffing-kicked-up-a-notch.55476/

The Caswell plating link
https://caswellplating.com/

I have bought from Caswell for years, they have top quality supplies fast service and reasonable prices. Long before the Beall Tool system I was buffing "stuff". Mostly metal and plastics, then Beall put me on to the wood side of buffing.

The Caswell site also has many tips and some great reading about buffing in general.

Top Bottom