Buffalo horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

northway

Hi all, I've just got some buffalo horn and I was wondering if it needs a ca finish like wood or just buffing like an acrylic? I've also heard it can be prone to splitting, any tips?

magpens

Being a "natural product", there can be voids in the buffalo horn, as well as irregularities in composition.

IMHO, buffalo horn should be finished with CA, just like wood.

As for possible splitting ..... yes, you have to be aware of that possibility. . The glued-in brass tube should help avoid splitting while turning.

However, when you are doing the final assembly and you are pressing the parts together on a pen press you have to be aware of further danger.

The pressing causes the glued-in brass tube to expand a tiny bit. . If your particular piece of buffalo horn is prone to cracks, that could occur now.

Only way to avoid this (when you don't know the detailed composition/structure of your buffalo horn) is to ream out the internal diameter of the glued-in brass tube by about 3 or 4 thou. . I do this with an adjustable straight-sided reamer until the pen parts ALMOST slide into the brass tube.
I take the reaming to the point where the pen part goes in about half way ..... with a little effort.
I then use 2-part epoxy and glue in the pen part.

You can buy straight-sided adjustable reamers at SOME tool stores. . Since you are in UK, I would not know which stores have them.

I buy such reamers in Canada at ..... www.busybeetools.com ..... usually sold in a set of 6 or 7 covering most sizes for pen-making.

Here is a link :-

Last edited:

northway

That's
Being a "natural product", there can be voids in the buffalo horn, as well as irregularities in composition.

As for possible splitting ..... yes, you have to be aware of that possibility. . The glued-in brass tube should help avoid splitting while turning.

However, when you are doing the final assembly and you are pressing the parts together on a pen press you have to be aware of further danger.

The pressing causes the glued-in brass tube to expand a tiny bit. . If your particular piece of buffalo horn is prone to cracks, that could occur now.

Only way to avoid this (when you don't know the detailed composition/structure of your buffalo horn) is to ream out the internal diameter of the glued-in brass tube by about 3 or 4 thou. . I do this with an adjustable straight-sided reamer until the pen parts ALMOST slide into the brass tube.
I take the reaming to the point where the pen part goes in about half way ..... with a little effort.

You can buy straight-sided adjustable reamers at SOME tool stores. . Since you are in UK, I would not know which stores have them.

I buy such reamers in Canada at ..... www.busybeetools.com ..... usually sold in a set of 6 or 7 covering most sizes for pen-making.

That's great thank you. I don't think we have reamers over here, never seen them if we do, but you have much better stuff than us. Fortunately there's so much wobble on my pillar drill a few thou extra won't be a problem.

magpens

Fortunately there's so much wobble on my pillar drill a few thou extra won't be a problem.

I cannot see anything "fortunate" about there being wobble on your pillar drill.

If the wobble is as great as you imply, I think it IS a considerable problem.

I just don't see the reason in your statement " .. there's so much wobble on my pillar drill a few thou extra won't be a problem. "

If you want to clarify, I would be happy to continue the discussion.

Top Bottom