Bucket O' Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAP

I had one of those days yesterday when all the inanimate objects in my shop were conspiring against me. I could have had a catch turning a stick of butter. Things kept doing things that they were just not designed to do. You know when you drop a cut off, it rolls under the bench even though its square,you almost have to crawl under the bench to get it. After performing a move a circus contortionist would be proud of to get the damn thing you toss it into the empty 5 gallon bucket you keep by the door for scraps. The thing hits in excatly the spot that will cause it bounce back out of the bucket go skidding across the floor and end up under the bench that I just retrieved it from. After a few episodes like this I started cleaning since it was obvious that I was not going to get any work done. That went well enough except that everything seemed to fall from where ever I placed it. each piece of wood was about 3/8" to long to go where I wanted to put it there was always some inanimate object doing its best to hinder my progress. I know I should have grabbed a cold beverage and waited for the universe to realign itself. But no I was to stubborn and determined to get something done. (I also wanted to see if I could free up enough space to fit a band saw) This continued for a number of hours as the shop slowly and painfully transformed into something that resembled order. After a career at sea I have picked up a few choice phrases to be used when things are not going your way. I think I used up my entire inventory and invented a few extra yesterday. The crowning achievement of all my efforts was when my plastic divider tray where I keep all my small penmaking stuff fell off the top of a 2' x 3' sheet of MDF that was on the top of a workmate with the laws opened as wide as they can go and butted up against the wall to serve as a temporary table to put all my pen stuff on while I was cleaning up the bench.
The resulting jumble of MM, wax sticks, CA bottles and kits was bad enough but when I got all the stuff off the top and saw all of my bushings in a loose pile with a few rolling about on their own it was the last straw. I got the dustpan and just swept it all up and dumped it in a box then turned the lights off and locked up. I just don't have the heart to go back out this morning to start trying to sort everything out. I think it may wait until after the new year comes and I have a bunch of cold beverages to try to chase away what ever gremlin I managed to PO. I think it was the whole cleaning thing. I never should have been thinking of it while trying to turn.
Happy New Year Its time to start finding the dimensions for my various bushings so I can begin sorting them out.
Phil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Ha! I have heard these "Tales of Murphy" before....... In fact, I have a chair with Murphy's name on it reserved for when he comes to visit. He visits so frequently that I thought it would just be the polite thing to do![B)][}:)]

guts

Hey Phil,i will help you run the evil spirit out of your shop later this afternoon,my fridg is at arms length away[8D]

LEAP

Originally posted by guts
<br />Hey Phil,i will help you run the evil spirit out of your shop later this afternoon,my fridg is at arms length away[8D]

Its going to take a bunch of ritualistic consumption of cold beverages along with a few chants (curses) to take care of this one I apprecaite the help.
Phil

LEAP

I may just put in an order for about 8 sets of bushings. Some were on mandrels and a few are obvious. Then I'll have plenty of spares. It could be a lot worse, next week I am planning on ordering the set ups for some new kits and I've got some barons on the way. I will definately get a more secure storage solution for my small pieces and give up on that whole cleaning thing, thats what got me into trouble in the first place.

TBone

Phil, hang in there. We all have visits from these demons. I agree that cleaning may actually PO these demons. If you could see my shop you'd know that I've tried to keep them happy lately [:D] I will do my best to participate in the ritualistic chasing of these demons starting shortly.

LEAP

Got the bushings sorted out a little time with the calipers and various pens for comparison. Then it was time to lock up the shop and watch the second half of the NE Tenn game. The gremlin is still on the loose there was a drill index on the floor that I do not remember placing there. Of course it could have happened when I slammed the door on my way out last night. But I believe its the gremlins fault. He may be feeling the pressure as more potions are consumed. Thanks for all the help exorcising the mean little bugger.[}:)]
Phil

Phil,
Maybe your demon was still with you... Tenn lost.. couple of times there I thought Vince was going to pull it out again..

I know about the things going under something... everything I drop disappears as soon as it hits the floor.. under the lathe, under the work bench or under the tool box.. I'm getting a way too old and stiff for all that bending and contortions.

RPM

Been there, done that, if enough interest, I'll start a club.

FWIW, After a similar experience with errant bushings, I saved up a bunch of empty prescription containers (getting to be my age they accumulate quickly) and I keep my bushings in those. Just mark the number on the outside with a sharpie after you peel the label off.

Richard

LEAP

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Phil,
Maybe your demon was still with you... Tenn lost.. couple of times there I thought Vince was going to pull it out again..

I know about the things going under something... everything I drop disappears as soon as it hits the floor.. under the lathe, under the work bench or under the tool box.. I'm getting a way too old and stiff for all that bending and contortions.

NE fan myself, well a fairweather fan I watch 2-3 games a year on the tube and only half keep track of how they stand. Think you are going to be a force to be reckoned with next season. That's one hell of a QB you have there but like wood a little seasoning brings out the best.
Happy New Year to All
Phil

JimGo

Phil,
If it makes you feel any better, my wife just read your post, smiled at me, and said "that's something that would happen to you", and I aagree with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom