Bubbasville East Report-added photo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

clewless

Well, we had a good time-at least I did. Got to meet Eileen and Chuck for the first time. Chuck had a 5+ hour drive up from Virginia Beach and should win some kind of award:)Unfortunately, Jason and Bill had to cancel at the last minute.

Did the usual show and tell, then decided to make some bottle stoppers as neither Eileen nor Chuck had made one before. Since Eileen is a new turner, we spent some time spinning a piece of 2x4 so she could get the feel of the skew. I made a quick/rough captured ring with the skew and then she got to playing. After lunch she went to the stopper and soon completed her first stopper - with a captured ring. That's the first one I've seen.

Our next meeting will be Sept. 9th

Chuck, Rob and Eileen
2006813153650_bv%20east.jpg

Rubber band inserted to show off Eileen's captured ring stopper...we didn't drink the wine:(
2006813153729_cap%20ring%20bs.jpg

Couldn't get Rob to kneel down so the lathe would be the right height...but had Eileen stand on a plank so she could turn:D
2006813153819_big%20rob.jpg

And Chuck sent me a pic of me for the post.

200681424944_Joe_81206.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Help me get nicknames straight with the faces please. I'm not sure who Chuck is, I think Rob is BigRob777. Dang, he is a big guy isn't he? ( big like as in 6'3" or better?). Is Eileen our Captain from the pentagon? And I don’t care what she says an O-6 is an O-6 in any branch of the service and this former Captain (Army O-3) would snap a crisp salute. You have to earn that type of rank..

clewless

Interesting thing about Bubbasville is that it draws from both IAP and Penturners. Chuck McCoy is a yahoo penturner.

Actually Rob (777) isn't that big, I stretched the photo when I resized it for the web[:D][:)] Let's just say we're happy he's a gentle giant. I discovered that hot peppers on a hoagie can put him on his knees- good weapon to have[:D] maybe I'll have to make a "pepper pen".

Fortunately, Eileen left her white gloves in the car (my garage would have gotten me a lot of gigs) and after one salute and a "Yes, ma'am, sir!" we were put "at ease".[;)]

BigRob777

Hey Joe,
What's that tan wall to your right in the bottom pic? LOL I think I finally got all of that pink ivory out of my beard.

Mudder,
I was 6'5", before my operation on my discs. I guess I'm still pretty close. That is my height, not my waist. Though I have to stretch out my 4XTall Tee-shirts to fit now. That's a rare shot of me working. I seldom turn standing up. Also, everything's set for Joe's height, which I won't comment on, as it's beneath me. LOL[:eek:)][:D]

We had a blast. I had no idea Eileen was an O-6. I have to translate everything into Gyrene logo. That would be a full bird Colonel in the Corps. Wow, I didn't pick up on that while you were here. I was just an E-4 when I got out of the Corps. They offered me SGT. and my choice of duty stations, but I turned them down faster than CA sets up.

Here are a few more pics. Eileen did her first captured ring (I've never seen one on a stopper before). If I got this right, it was her first stopper and Chuck's too. It was my first time doing burn lines correctly (thanks Joe). Joe also did a really cool pen/pencil in one from a new wood I had, called Huangana Negra. He said it was pretty hard and he did a nice job with it. Note, it won't be for sale, until I get back from the Poconos on Saturday, when I'll post it as my next ad (I hope).

Note: They put a rubber band on it, to show that it's a captured ring.
0681435250_Captured%20ring%20Bubinga%20by%20Eileen.jpg
<br />

Joe's Pen.
200681435314_Huangana%20Negra%20by%20Joe.jpg
<br />

Joe's probably teaching something. He'a a natural.
200681435341_DSCN2660.jpg
<br />

My Stopper. Joe even supplied the stopper blank, as I didn't bring any.
2006814404_DSCN2671.jpg
<br />
I hope to see you locals there, or visiting guests next time. It is the highlight of my month. I'm hoping the DC contingency will come in September. We're hoping for some demos, including making PR blanks and some laminated blanks (I have a ton of cut-off slivers that are anywhere from 1-16" X 3/4" X 6" to larger sizes that we'll have to cut down. That'll be fun too.

See ya next time,
Rob

Draken

When is the one in Sept? Need to check the schedule to see if I can make it. Initial plans would be Joe's place on Saturday, then up to Rob's to get two hunks of wood cut down on Sunday. If it turns out to be just me (depends on the weekend), then may squish it all into Saturday.

Cheers,
Draken

BigRob777

Draken,
Dates: Saturday, Sept. 9
Saturday, Oct. 14
Add’l. dates to be determined
Keep in mind that we're at church in the morning and will get home around 11:00 (on Sunday), or 11:30 AM. I look forward to seeing you. We might actually be able to see the band saw table this time. Claudia is going to help me clean up a bit. The floor is a long way down (to clean), for a guy with a bad back and my height.
Rob

M

Mudder

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Looks like a good time, to bad there so many miles inbetween [V]
Nice shirt Joe [:p]

Think of all the Golf Courses you could play out here. Besides, with all those gold nibs and Private Reserve inks you been selling you should have enough saved up. [}:)]

PenWorks

Originally posted by Mudder
Think of all the Golf Courses you could play out here. Besides, with all those gold nibs and Private Reserve inks you been selling you should have enough saved up. [}:)]

I would love to play some of your courses. Balls bounce off the trees much better than the cactus [:D] Plus I have one uncle left out of 36 Aunts & Uncles that lives in Pasadena, MD. I need to see Uncle Joe one more time. It's been 38 years since I've seen him. That is why I considered it this year. It's not the money, I am a home body and hate to get on a plane and travel. That is why I stick to the LA show, I can drive to it and bring a much better display. I will rethink it again for next year.

emackrell

Joe, thanks again for hosting this - I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone. And thanks for the skew lesson! I look forward to the next iteration of Bubbasville East.

And for those who are interested, those bottle stoppers work just fine in Scotch bottles too. Now if I could just figure out a function for that neat little captive ring... [8D]

cheers Eileen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom