Wanted Brown Mammoth tooth pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobhabsolute

Hi, I would like to buy a pen with Mammoth tooth inlay in the brown shades. I am opened to fountain pen as well (would be perfect if it comes with both mechanisms ). (I hope I am in the right thread)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

It has been twelve hours and 73 people have seen your post. Nobody has responded. I am not surprised. I am responding so that you know that your request has been seen.

Sorry, but a request like yours in a first post is not likely to get much of a response from this community. That's especially true considering the exotic and expensive nature of the request. Establishing trust on either side isn't easy. So many things can go wrong, and anyone who has been here has seen the posts with horror stories of similar requests gone bad.

From what I have learned here, mammoth tooth is very challenging to turn. I have never tried it. I like quirky and interesting pen materials. I looked into mammoth tusk a while ago, and quickly figured out that it is far too difficult, risky, and expensive for my taste. You are asking for an inlay, which could be easier and less of a challenge, depending on how it is done.

My advice would be to find a woodturning group in Montreal that can interact with you, get to know and trust you, etc. A quick web search yielded this group in the Montreal area:
http://www.wiwoodturners.ca

Good luck!

jrista

It is hard to find mammoth tooth in general, especially in sizes large enough for pens, but in a specific color as well? I was looking into mammoth tooth a few months back, and was taken aback by the price of what I was finding, and further surprised at just how rare it was (vast majority of the time it seems to be knife scales). I found a single piece, maybe two, mostly on knife making sites, and there wasn't really much in the way of color choice.

boatemp

It is hard to find mammoth tooth in general, especially in sizes large enough for pens, but in a specific color as well? I was looking into mammoth tooth a few months back, and was taken aback by the price of what I was finding, and further surprised at just how rare it was (vast majority of the time it seems to be knife scales). I found a single piece, maybe two, mostly on knife making sites, and there wasn't really much in the way of color choice.
I saw mammoth tooth pen blanks at WoodChux in Pa. It is pricey. I believe he only had red left in stock. http://woodchuxwoodturning.com/

Bobhabsolute

It has been twelve hours and 73 people have seen your post. Nobody has responded. I am not surprised. I am responding so that you know that your request has been seen.

Sorry, but a request like yours in a first post is not likely to get much of a response from this community. That's especially true considering the exotic and expensive nature of the request. Establishing trust on either side isn't easy. So many things can go wrong, and anyone who has been here has seen the posts with horror stories of similar requests gone bad.

From what I have learned here, mammoth tooth is very challenging to turn. I have never tried it. I like quirky and interesting pen materials. I looked into mammoth tusk a while ago, and quickly figured out that it is far too difficult, risky, and expensive for my taste. You are asking for an inlay, which could be easier and less of a challenge, depending on how it is done.

My advice would be to find a woodturning group in Montreal that can interact with you, get to know and trust you, etc. A quick web search yielded this group in the Montreal area:
http://www.wiwoodturners.ca

Good luck!
Thank you for your advise. I appreciate your honesty and your research. I am looking for somebody with experience with mammoth tooth as I would feel uncomfortable if a turner would try it and fail after a lot of efforts and expenses. I am searching the internet but those pens are rare. Anyway, thank you again.

Bobhabsolute

You are right. I want to have a pen to match a knife that I gave to my wife. That is to celebrate 30 years of life together.

Bobhabsolute

There you go, Jason is your man for Mammoth pens
Thank you. I am already waiting for answers from other sites but I will have a look at him again (I saw it, but I wrongly believed it was simply a store and nothing was available). Just to know that somebody from this site know the turner behind that site increases my level of trust toward it.

penicillin

When I saw the title of the thread, I wondered, "How do you know what color the mammoth was?" :)

At least you are getting helpful and useful information from others. A good start. Good luck!

Last edited:

duncsuss

If you want a truly unique pen, not made from a kit, I can recommend WriteTurnz. Jason Olson (not the same Jason as the previous link you were given :) ) He's made several awesome pens using mammoth tooth.

You can find him at www.writeturnz.com

PenPal

I bought mine from Canada all my pics were wiped out in a recent crash. It was from Russia originally,my blank had been cut and plastic cast. I cut it with a small bandsaw with a metal cutting blade. In appearance the blank is made up of bands of rock and glass. It drilled easily and well dry using a drill that is tungsten tipped that drills through metal files etc reasonably cheap. I bought the nearest to the size just under for the pen kit recommend and used a steel bit for the final cut,drilling was straightforward however as it went through the silicon bands it needed extra effort. A mate of mine out of memory who in the States used twenty of the four way cutters,being of Scottish blood I only used one and sharpened it face down on a diamond file and used it after for about a year. The one piece pen I made took 5 hrs to turn. I was going to build a rock lathe but now at 87 yrs plenty of other projects flood in.My blank was coloured including cobalt from where it was found in the Russian freeze. Look up in Canada and the supplier is easy to find using Google,he gets many different colours at in my estimation very reasonable prices.Have fun I did.

darrin1200

House of mammoth is a group though i believe. There are many places if you google search.
No. This guy is not a group. He operates out of Ontario Canada, but does a lot of international shipping. I believe he also does his own stabilizing. Unfortunately, mammoth is very expensive and a little out of my stock budget.

Top Bottom