Bronze Classic Click with Banded Chrysocolla TruStone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

I haven't turned TruStone in a while and thought I would try one of the new PSI kits with it.
Everyday Classic Geen TS.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Very nice Tony! Do you use any different techniques with TruStone than you would for other substrates?
I have most HSS and carbide chilsels - 90% of the time I use HSS gouges and skews. However, given the density of this material (not all TS has the same density), I used carbide, in particularly this one with a cup-style cutter: https://huntertoolsystems.com/product/2-hunter-osprey-tool/.
I only learned this only after trying several tools as I was turning the blank. I found this cutter to hog-material well and make fine finishing cuts.
When hogging I use it as a scraper and when making finishing cuts, like a skew (shear cuts) Remember, this is just what happened to be right for me.

I dry sand to 2000 dry and the did a lot of buffing while inspecting my finish under a 20x lighted loupe. TS and M3, I usually use micromesh, but i was too lazy to get the water LOL.

magpens

That's a really nice pen, Tony !!! . Thanks for showing !!

I am in love with that kit ... have made several of them ... clicker is soooooo smooth !!

DrD

I have most HSS and carbide chilsels - 90% of the time I use HSS gouges and skews. However, given the density of this material (not all TS has the same density), I used carbide, in particularly this one with a cup-style cutter: https://huntertoolsystems.com/product/2-hunter-osprey-tool/.
I only learned this only after trying several tools as I was turning the blank. I found this cutter to hog-material well and make fine finishing cuts.
When hogging I use it as a scraper and when making finishing cuts, like a skew (shear cuts) Remember, this is just what happened to be right for me.

I dry sand to 2000 dry and the did a lot of buffing while inspecting my finish under a 20x lighted loupe. TS and M3, I usually use micromesh, but i was too lazy to get the water LOL.
Thanks! I definitely relate to the too lazy part.

TonyL

That's a really nice pen, Tony !!! . Thanks for showing !!

I am in love with that kit ... have made several of them ... clicker is soooooo smooth !!
I actually like the section on EDC better - it is more narrow. However, I like the longer barrel of the classic. Both excellent kits IMO.

thomgarner

Great work ... great finish ... Not seen this kit before ... I am going to try the EDC from PenState soon.
Great job Tony ...

Top Bottom