bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from markgum

markgum

so here is a couple of bowls I have made. My first..

Palm Nut with a Paduck base. Made this in a WC Class I took. Bought some more palm nuts, and they will be turned sometime. Was nice turing; fine white shavings. Polished with BLO
tn_palmnut1.jpg

This is from spalted hackberry. Something I had in the shop for a long time; just now got brave enough to turn it. It has difficult, as the tools seemed to catch on the spalting very easily. Maybe tools aren't sharp enough, maybe just need more practice.

tn_hackberry%20bowl1.jpg
tn_hackberry%20bowl2.jpg

These are my first bowls your comments are appreciated. I'm still working on the photo stuff. Trying to set something up inexpensive; using a cardboard box with a mag flashlight on top. After I sell a few pieces maybe I can get permission from SWMBO to buy one..:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Very nice bowl, Mark. These days I turn more bowls than pens and really like working Spalted Alder, and Curly Maple. The Alder is soft and rather punky due to the extreme spalting. To aid in turning it I soak the spalted areas with thin CA - NO ACCELERATOR - and let it cure for an hour or so and then turn a bit more. It really helps in the turning. I also turn at 2800 or better and always keep my tools scary sharp with my Tormek. I use my 1 inch skew 98% of the time and it has to be kept sharp as possible.

Try the CA to harden the spalted areas of your next bowl. :D

MarkHix

Those are nice Mark. If you saw my first you would laugh and tell me I should have sold my lathe!
In addition to Fred's tips, practice with all of the tools. Pick up some free wood to practice with. As you get more comfortable with the different cuts/tools, it gets easier. Pay attention to the speed, you can get going too fast for some woods and end up w/ a projectile.

markgum

thanks for the info. Last year, I picked up 3 of the spalted hackberry blanks and turned the little one first. So I'll try the CA on the next one I do. As for the practice... who has time to do that.. [:0] The speed, somewhere I read or was told that the diameter of the piece times the rpm should be somewhere between 6000 and 9000.

Top Bottom