Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Ron,
I have made pens from bowling ball material. Like this one:
statesbowlclosed.jpg

But never anything shaped like a bowling pin. I don't see why it couldn't be done.

alamocdc

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />Bowling ball blanks or blanks cut from old bowling pins.
[?][?][?]

Ron, I've seen blanks sold as Bowling Ball blanks, but I'm not sure if they are actually cut up bolwing balls or just a similar plastic. However, there are a few of us who have and do cut up old bowling balls for pen blanks. Alice Call is the real expert here and has an article on this off the IAP homepage.

jwoodwright

Ron,
Someone did baseball bat pens... This would work, albeit upside down, the "cap" would be closed end and look like the top of a pin, the pen would be the bottom shape. Guitar pick material would be used to add decorative rings on the neck section... Holly would look good... No clip would be needed...

Just an idea....

alamocdc

WOW, I checked out their BB blanks and they are using reactive resin and newer balls. Neither I nor Alice (unless she hasn't told me recently) have been able to straighten this material successfully.

More research in order.

tipusnr

One concern I have is that the bowling pin shape does not fit comfortably in the hand. It sounds like a cute idea but I would definitely turn a couple out of scrap wood to see how you could make a comfortable writing instrument from this shape. I have a couple of old minatures from my bowling days and there is no way I could write with that shape!

Spike

here is a bowling ball pen and a bowling pin pen
http://www.theshopwausau.com/PenOddities.html
i have no idea how this person made it though.
Not very pratical though.

BigRob777

How about a panache, with holly and blackwood stripes. The fat part could be the cap. You wouldn't hold the wood part, if I'm not mistaken. Also, you could do this with a baron, if you had a pin chuck, as the part you hold is pretty long.
Just an idea. I do have big paws, so it wouldn't bother me to write with bowling pin. You could also make a round ball shape, as a desk set base and stick a pen of normal shape in it, especially if the ball were made of burl and the pen had the pin colors on it. Of course, you would need to flatten the bottom.
Rob

TomServo

You should make his very fancy - crushed red stone inlay for the rings, or something. And make some "plain" ones to put in his glass cases. I bet they'd be a big hit for bowlers, or people buying gifts for bowlers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom