Bowl Saved - Mangrove Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OZturner

OZturner

I was Instrumental in our "Men's Shed", purchasing a Bowl Saver, as most members wouldn't have sufficient requirements to justify purchasing one in their own right.
But like wise each member would Lament the amount of Beautiful Timber reduced to waste when making a Bowl. :highfive:

To demonstrate the Bowl Saver, we arranged for a couple of members to bring along to our meeting and for them to use the Bowl Saver.

I made a serious mistake, I took along a large piece of Mangrove, that I had purchased several years ago at a Working with Wood Show.
I say I made a mistake as I had never turned any Mangrove, and had no experience as to what it was like to work with. :rolleyes:

To cut the Bowl, it was an almighty struggle, for the Saver, the dust that Exuded was Putrid, and Prevalent, the Heat Generated was Enormous, and everything was a Struggle. :frown:

After I separated the Bowls, I then proceeded to turn them, more struggling. My Bowl Gouges, would loose their edge in a few seconds, it appears that the light portions of the timber is actually the slime from the Tidal Marsh that attaches to the Submerged Portion of the Tree, and the Mangrove covers it as it grows.
I feel that this Hardened and Dried once Slime, contains a load of Silicates. Hence the wearing down of my Gouges, and Ultimately Me.
I took the Bowls as Thin as I Dared, and that I had Sufficient Stamina for. :beat-up:

I have covered the bowls with a beeswax in an attempt to contain the Stench, but I am fighting a loosing Battle.

Please take note and don't try Mangrove, you have been warned! :biggrin:

Comments and Critiques Welcome.
Brian.

Attachments

• Mangrove Bowl 1  Bowl Saver.jpg
    Mangrove Bowl 1 Bowl Saver.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Mangrove Bowl 2 Bowl Saver.jpg
    Mangrove Bowl 2 Bowl Saver.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Mangrove Bowl 3.jpg
    Mangrove Bowl 3.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Mangrove Bowl 4.jpg
    Mangrove Bowl 4.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 139
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Thank you Cody, Jim, Mike, & Gary, for your very Kind Comments.
Cody, here is the Elevation view of the Bowls, and to visualize the size, I have put rule along side.
Kind regards,
Brian.

Attachments

• Mangrove Bowl 5.jpg
    Mangrove Bowl 5.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Mangrove Bowl 6.jpg
    Mangrove Bowl 6.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 119
They certainly look like they were worth the struggle. Fortunately I can't comment on whether or not they're worth the stink. :biggrin:

They look great Brian, and thanks for the warning. If I ever happen to come across some mangrove I'll heed your advice and leave it be.

Top Bottom