Bowl Blanks or Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Harpazo

I'm going through my old firewood pile and finding this inside. Comments Welcome. The piece measures roughly 3" x 10" x 20". I thought it had pretty good character. I'm checking some of what I've been burning to see it if it's worth messing with. Would you bother or burn it?

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Looks like a nice piece of spalted maple. It certainly would be a shame to use it for firewood! From the size you mentioned, it would make a nice couple of bowls, platters, or several smaller ones or several boxes plus a number of nice pen blanks although I'd rather see it used as bowls, platters or boxes. Let us know what you decide and send us a photo of your finished turning projects! Safe turning to you and yours!

Harpazo

All of this looks like it may have spalted after it was cut down. It had been cut & stacked for years likely. I think this may have ambrosia beetle holes too but I don't know if that was what killed the tree.

JD Combs Sr

Given the dimensions you quoted I would think that there are several varieties of turnings in there. I see a bowl or maybe two pluse a couple ornaments and maybe a couple bottle stoppers and at lease a couple pens.

Top Bottom