bottlebrush tree

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Has anyone worked with bottlebrush tree? I have a couple pieces that I've had sitting for around 2 years (waxed). It is a family tree and I'm going to make pens for everyone from it. The moisture content was around 17% the last few times I checked it. I couldn't find any recommendations on moisture content for specific woods. The wood is quite dense.

In fact, if anyone has a resource with suggestions for moisture contents of various woods, I'm sure a few folks around here would make use of it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I think anything under 10% will be good. Remember pens are very thin and wood will dry out very fast when turn down close to pen size

Drewby108

It's the same genus as guava and eucalyptus, so I would probably treat it in a similar manner. As said above, rough turn down closer to a blank's size and let it continue to dry.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've made pens and handles for bottle openers and ice cream scoops from bottle brush. Turns beautifully.
As to moisture content, it will only decrease until it reaches equilibrium with the atmosphere in which it is kept.

sorcerertd

It will still be dependent upon where you live. The MC in Arizona will be different than what I would achieve on the Texas gulf coast.
This absolutely makes sense. It's been in a climate controlled basement, but I'm still guessing I should still leave it a bit longer. I turned a test barrel last year just to see what it would look like and that hasn't cracked yet. That might be a good sign.

Top Bottom