Bottle stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MobilMan

MobilMan

What is the ideal size for the largest diameter of a stopper? The same type SuperDave just posted. I've done a couple about 2" and am doing one now that will be about 1-3/4". Or would 1-1/2 be more eye appealing? While were here--how about the height? One thing I did find out is a CA finish is the quickest & easiest. Sand to 12000. 4 coats of CA. Coat of Ren Wax & buff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I think the "ideal" size depends on a number of factors. First, of course, is personal preference. Next would be the size of the base. The silicone stoppers, cork, or the smaller stainless steel base from Ruth Niles would probably all work with a smaller (in both diameter and height) stopper on top. The bottom heavy bases like the CSUSA droplet style or the PSI "vintage" might accommodate something a little larger on top. The basic cone shaped bases probably fall somewhere in between. Finally, a lot depends on the specifics of the shape you turn. I've done some, for example, that are turned sideways (think of a disk with the stopper base screwed into one edge) that are certainly wider (in one dimension) than other styles I've turned, but light enough to still offer good balance.

-Barry

Skye

Pffffffft, what do you know about making stoppers?

Yeah, sure I've copied most every one of your stoppers to my hard drive and have tried to duplicate some of them..... what of it?

airrat

I agree with Ed, most of my stoppers are those same sizes. The only exception was a set I did for a guy that had a bottle with 4 chambers. I posted a picture on here of it awhile ago. I used pen blanks for those stoppers.

Top Bottom