bottle stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

Originally posted by schellfarms
<br />what are the necessary items needed to make bottle stoppers--aside from the wood and kits, of course.....

Scroll down a ways then you will get to the mandrel, drill chuck and other tools. There are also several tutorials showing the different techniques and the use of the mandrels on the site.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Bottle_Stoppers.htm

keithz

Assuming you are doing wood and metal stoppers, you really don't need anything else except a drill bit and a scroll chuck.

I use metal stoppers and mount my blank in a scroll chuck. I then mount a drill chuck in my tailstock, drill an appropriate sized hole in the blank, and turn the bottlestopper.

I started using a mandrel and stoppers that were threaded, but found that it was difficult to screw the blank on straight and wound up with a lot of completed bottlestoppers with gaps at the joint between the wood and metal, a look I didn't like.

keithz

BigRob777

I didn't have a scroll chuck, when I started doing stoppers. I used a mandrel, which fits over the thread of my head stock and a drill bit. If you turn pens, you can use the same tools. The mandrel is about ten bucks. You can do them with pegs too, in which case, you don't need the mandrel, but then you need the drill chuck.

Rob

I use a screw chuck and drill bit... drill the appropriate size hole, screw it onto the screw chuck and turn down... I usually back the blank off the chuck slightly so I can shap under the bottom if necessary... mostly I make the silicone stoppers, so I like to cut the bottom a little closer to the size of the silicone piece.

If you do the silicone stoppers, you can also install the pegs into the blank and mount it into a scroll chuck or if it's large enough, into a jacobs chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom