Bored!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Just about got my house wrapped up outside of a new garage door to be installed. It has been an adventure to say the least. Complete redo of exterior including new roof, new siding and new stone front veneer with new front door and new front porch added. Due to the virus, many of the materials were on back order and took longer to get than usual including now the garage door which will be 2 months in another week. I was told this going into this but until you live through it those numbers did not mean much. With winter around the corner I am glad it is wrapping up. Just finished cleaning the garage out so I can get my truck back in there. Reorganized alot of stuff and threw stuff away I did not know I had. Guess I was a pack rat.

What that means is now I will be looking to relax and return back to the shop. Hopefully will be able to pick up some pens were I left off if I remember what my plans were. To get inspired again I did something I never did here and thought I would throw out this question. We all look at and watch the forum SOYP. Well there are at this moment of writing 1390 entries. or threads. This dates all the way back to Jan. 2004. I started reliving those threads and actually started backwards and working my way to present day. Brings back alot of memories of some very nice pens shown and some interesting conversations. Even saw a few of my old pens. Will continue this for a few more nights as I get up enough desire to get back in the shop.

So my question is has anyone else done this and if you ever do get bored this is a cool way to entertain yourself and go back to some better days when there were no viruses around to ruin our lives. Try it you may like it. Not many forums have this type archives. For those segmenters you will run into a thread mentioned a few times too, that is a long running one and I sure would be posted as a sticky on top of the forum or even a subforum where we can find it easier. Right now it is found under the Blank making heading under segmenting but you need to search for it. The title is called "

No Comments Just post new segmented pens and Likes "

How about that Jeff?? This would be great for many of the Newbies that joined and take a stroll back in time on this forum. Things are archived here very well and there are plenty of photos of pens like I mentioned and also the past contests held each year and all those great winning pens and even many of the entries. You can spend alot of time entertaining yourself here if you truely are into the art of making pens, that is for sure.

Anyway just asking. Happy Pen Turning.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Parrott

That's a great idea JT. Adding to that I would suggest searching Pintrest for "segmented" or "wooden pens" It's hard to imagine but there are other fine turners and pen makers that don't display their craft on the IAP. If you've not tried Pintrest, give it a try. It's just a huge website of photos.

jttheclockman

That's a great idea JT. Adding to that I would suggest searching Pintrest for "segmented" or "wooden pens" It's hard to imagine but there are other fine turners and pen makers that don't display their craft on the IAP. If you've not tried Pintrest, give it a try. It's just a huge website of photos.
I look there all the time and actually see some of mine on there. Not sure how that happens but I have no problem sharing.

howsitwork

Theres a lot of inspiring stuff on there to give you a boost.

Glad you're nearly there John, focus on the positive aspects of " re organising your house and workshop" . Theres now more room for new lumber ..... Just saying.....

SteveJ

I've done the same thing and have a file on my desktop simply called "Pens I'd like to make" where I copy pictures of pens I want to try to emulate. I believe some of yours have made it into that folder!

jttheclockman

I've done the same thing and have a file on my desktop simply called "Pens I'd like to make" where I copy pictures of pens I want to try to emulate. I believe some of yours have made it into that folder!
I have that list too. Started that one many many years ago when there were so many more out of the box pen makers here. In fact I am working on a couple now that were a few years ago shown here and I am putting my touch on the design. Hope to get back to them very soon.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have pinned the thread, it should stay at the top of the forum.
[h3][/h3]

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Mike I am not sure how that works but if it does that would be nice. It is very true, you could spend hours here just going back into the archives and looking at all the great work that passed through here over the years and check out some of the names of the past. Some of the old timers are still here which is a testament to how well this place is run and respected. I still marvel at some of the work that has been shown and what can be done with that little round canvas that we get to decorate. I was at it again a few days ago and even added more pens to my must try list not that I do not have enough to do. But there are some cool ideas and the way my brain works I want to try my hand at them and add my touch. I did get back in the shop yesterday and hopefully my mojo is back and I can continue with some original ideas I have been working on. Be awhile before I get a bunch of pens done to start showing again.

I will repeat myself here but if anyone does get bored and has time to spend here check things out here. You will be glad you did. You will never see anything like this anywhere else for sure. Happy Turning!!

Top Bottom